Apple Care (having someone else touch your computer)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Architect4122, May 13, 2009.

1. Architect4122 macrumors regular

I have had a MBP for over a year and a half and I try my best to take care of it (knock on wood). There are not dings or scratches, and I take a towel when I'm at the airport to pad it when I have to take it out and put it in a bin. In other words I protect its beauty with my life.

Any precautions I should take when sending it in to Apple care? Photos of before and after...I just don't want thing ruined b/c of some tech person who doesn't care about the their product as much as I do.

Experiences? Advice?

Thanks

(re: post about maybe having to send in b/c of graphics card)

2. ubestbsteppin macrumors regular

I think photos will do. I can't imagine Apple not taking care of you if it comes back damaged if you have photos.

3. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

I would much rather send it to Apple than any other company, customer service in Apple Stores is generally first class. When they took my macbook it came back looking like new as they give it a proper clean all over.

Take photo's just incase there is a problem, buy I highly doubt they will be needed.:apple:

4. lordthistle macrumors 6502

My wonderful MBPs (early and late 08) have been repaired six times (in a little bit more than one year). They have always come back in the condition they were when they left me. May be with less dust on the screen.

Frankly, I am more worried while my car is being fixed.

5. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

Take detailed pictures. That should be enough. I always do before sending anything to applecare. It's not that applecare will necessarily damage the computer, but accidents happen and you need to be able to prove it.

6. Inside_line macrumors regular

I got my MBP back with a small dent in the metal surrounding the audio port... didn't notice it immediately. When I took it home to open it up and put my own hard drive back in (don't trust sending my data) I noticed more. Only 1 of maybe 3 screws was put back in holding the optical drive in place. Also one of the gaskets that sits on top of the usb ports was missing. Don't know how I am expected to argue about newly created issues after I opened it up. At least we have nice machines to complain about =) Mine has been working like a champ for over a year since then.

7. Warranty Voider macrumors 6502

I've never had any problems myself, but when I've gone to the apple store in the past to give them my computer for various repairs they have always asked me, "Are you sure that you give us permission to touch your computer?". They always say it as if it wouldn't be their fault if they screw up somehow.

8. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

It's all dependent on where you have your computer serviced. It all depends on the individual employee(s) that handle your machine. At the very least, when you take your machine in, find out if the repair is being done in-store, or if the machine is being sent to an off-site location. If it's on-site, you're likely to be able to find out exactly who worked on your machine and at what time, so if the computer does come back with any issues, you stand a chance of getting a suitable remedy.

9. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

Not trying to freak you out, but I've had my uMBP serviced multiple times and this last time it came back filthy. Screen had debris on it and the outside of the computer looked like it was manhandled by a mechanic. No physical damage though.

Take pictures before...

10. u49aa2 macrumors 6502a

u49aa2

Take pictures, video whatever you can. I know few people including myself who send their laptop in perfect condition and received their laptop with minor damages (they scratched the back of my black macbook!!!!) Also i noticed that the machine was a bit loose (like the screws were not secured to the limit)

try to take pictures where the laptop serial number appear in one of them and the date also appear. Also video if possible.

11. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

My iBook in 2007 came back disgusting after 3 repairs...it was filthy with black smudges on the screen and case. I couldn't remove it. They sent me a new MacBook immediately.

12. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

It can be a crapshoot

There have been occasions where I've had my e08 MBP come back better than when they got it and I've had times when I had to have them take it back because things came back to me broken or damaged.

If you're shipping it, make sure you document everything before it leaves your hands. That way, if it comes back with a big dent that wasn't there before or the case halves not fitting together, they know you're being honest.

13. Mark2000 macrumors regular

Mark2000

I and many others have had our hard drives formatted my Apple for no apparent reason. I had my MBP sent it for water damage repair and got it back with a fresh Tiger install. Nearly wet myself, especially after I ran an undelete program and found some of my old files to confirm it was not a new drive.

Do a total backup. And if the drive is easy to remove then remove it. They don't need it. They have plenty.

14. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

My Macbook is currently in having the crack issue sorted.

Today however, iChat on my PowerMac fired up on its own to tell me I was signed in elsewhere. Now, I set up a Guest account as my account is passworded incase they needed to use it... but I'm still a bit :confused: about it

15. emt1 macrumors 65816

My Black MacBook came back with scratches all over it. Looked like someone threw a ring of keys at it. Apple first refused to do anything, I complained a lot, sent them pictures, and they finally said they would take it back and fix it, which could take weeks, and refused any monetary compensation. I needed it for school so I had no choice but to keep a laptop with scratches all over it. Bastards.

16. madog macrumors 65816

madog

BACK UP YOUR HARD DRIVE!!!

Even if the problem is completely unrelated to the hard drive, they may perform a clean install on the OS to rule out any software problems (or they may just do it as standard protocol). They do not cover your personal data under the warranty, so it does not matter to them if you don't have a recent backup and they format your drive.

BACK UP YOUR HARD DRIVE!!!

17. Warranty Voider macrumors 6502

So are you saying that they're using your iChat account? That's sorta creepy. I would hope that none of the technicians even log into the customer's account.

18. madog macrumors 65816

madog

Warranty Voider! HAH! Didn't even notice your name, but I had that written on our box cutter at the computer service center I worked at. I loved pulling it out in front of customers (the ones who were got nervous and scared).

Probably used that tool more than any other :rolleyes:

19. Tomasmekean macrumors member

I have had to send my notebook off several times.. I owed the 8600GT.. I know another thread, but I am happy to say that it always came back in the same cosmetic condition. I am very happy with the techs so far!!!

20. Mothra's Wing macrumors newbie

Ah...yes. Three years later, and now I tell my story. I sent in my *pristine* iBook under the AppleCare warranty to get the hard drive replaced.

When it came back, there were HAIRLINE SCRATCHES ALL OVER the polycarbonate case, top and bottom. All those times carrying the iBook like it were Fine China -- wasted.

I screamed a silent scream.

From afar, yes, it looked the same. But I knew what it looked like in my mind. SCARRED.

When I look at it now, I can only think about what could've been.

(Sigh. If only I'd known about the taking-pictures idea.)

21. bli625 macrumors 6502a

bli625

Definitely take photos. I had forgotten but I got lucky.. they returned my uMBP with two dents in the display housing and I called them and Customer Relations set me up with a new computer. I picked it up the same day at the local store. But next time, I'll definitely take pictures just to be safe.

22. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

Well, I don't know how they could be. Cause they don't know my login password unless they know a way around it!

It was a little creepy though