Apple Care - Higher education

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by willkingeds, Apr 25, 2010.

1. willkingeds macrumors newbie

Hi there. I'm about to buy a 13'' macbook pro using the Higher Ed Discount. Although reading through past thread suggests that I will automatically get 3 years warranty by buying through HE (but only one year phone support), most of these are from a few years ago. I spoke to a guy instore today who was unsure but thought that i'd only get 1 year warranty and need to purchse apple care to get 3 years.

can anybody confirm one or the other please? Thanks.

2. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

3. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

Nope, I bought from the HE UK store on the 14th. Double checked with one of their online chat people before I bought. You'll get 3 years free parts and labour but only 1 year's phone support.

4. willkingeds thread starter macrumors newbie

Cheers instaxgirl i thought it was. There's a shortage online of the 13'' MBP and it wont get delivered till May 14th. They'll have them in stock in Manchester soon and can get the same Higher Ed discount in store by showing a student card (14%) according to the staff there. Will i still get the 3 year warranty as i haven't bought it through the online HE store?

5. kuruption macrumors member

Unfortunately not, I did this without checking and bought it in store and was forced to then buy Applecare. It's something to do with the online Eduacation store being completely different to just getting student discount in a normal apple store.

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

In United Kingdom, you get automatically 3-year parts and labor warranty but only 1-year of phone support when purchsed through High Education store . The AppleCare costs ~40£ but only bumps the phone support to 3-years

This only applies to United Kingdom HE store, in United States you only get 1-year warranty, even when bought from HE store