Apple Care in a different country?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by LMD75, Sep 14, 2011.

1. LMD75, Sep 14, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2011

LMD75 macrumors 6502

Has anyone ever claimed on Applecare for a battery that is not holding its charge, broken home button, worn out dock connector etc?

Is Applecare worth it?

I just received the reminder as my IP4 is coming up a year old. I plan on keeping it for another year and wonder if anyone has any experience with purchasing and claiming on Applecare.

2. Sirolway macrumors 6502

Somewhere I think on MacRumors recently was a post by an Apple engineer giving advice on what to AppleCare & what not to. You might want to Mroogle it.

3. LMD75, Sep 14, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2011

LMD75 thread starter macrumors 6502

It looks like Applecare is not even available in my country!

Any Finnish people here that can enlighten me on this subject?

I have a UK iTunes account and credit card and can purchase it via that method but it looks like I would be wasting my money if I submitted a claim.

Unlike the US or UK I have not seen any Apple stores here in Helsinki. There are a couple of "Humac People" stores which look like the official Apple stores.

Phone was purchased directly from Sonera over a two year hardware contract.

If my phone would have broken under warranty, I was expecting to walk into one of these "MacPeople" stores and get a no hassle refurbished unit.

Attached Files:

4. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Even though I haven't made the changes in my signature, Mroogle hasn't been operational for months.

I always purchase AppleCare for my Mac products (MacBook Pro, MacPro etc) but never for my iPhone. Just my personal choice. They are very good about taking care of you though if you have problems.

5. mpossoff macrumors 68020

You can also get replacements with Apple Care.

6. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Applecare not only extends warrantee, but extends phone tech supports from 3 months to three years.

For a noob like me, the phone tech support has been invaluable. It's worth noting that if you don't have Applecare, all tech support calls made after 90 day period costs $50.00 per call.

This may not be important to those who are technologically sophisticated, but for some of us it's essential. :eek: :p

7. LMD75, Sep 16, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2011

LMD75 thread starter macrumors 6502

How cr*p is this..

Visited Sonera shop (Network Operator shop) today. They do not offer any additional warranty on the iPhone. I have another year left to pay for the iPhone outright and if it breaks within the next year I still have to keep paying for the phone and will not get a replacement at a discounted rate.

Applecare is not available in Finland and the three Network Operators (Sonera, Elisa & DNA) are responsible for the technical support /warranty of the iPhone.

I was told to simply claim on my home insurance if it breaks.

My Apple Care expires at the end of September.

Update: Phoned Apple and they told me that as there are no official Apple Stores in Finland, Apple Care is not available and the reseller must provide me with my options.

Phoned Network Operator who told me that if phone develops a fault, then to take it into their store on the high street who will send it off to Apple for repair. If it is within warranty, they will repair it for free and if not then they will charge me. What I am thinking is to extend the warranty via the Apple Shop UK app which should register that the hardware is under warranty for another year. Therefore when a service centre checks the warranty status, it should tell them that it is under warranty and fix it for free ??

8. LMD75 thread starter macrumors 6502

Can you get an iPhone serviced by Apple in a different country to where it was purchased from?

Example: Bought the phone in US, phone broke while travelling to UK, visited Apple Store in UK who replaced the phone?

Also when you purchase Apple Care and check warranty status online via Apple's website, does it simply change the expiry date of warranty or does it state 'Apple Care' purchased.

9. Lukeyy19 macrumors 6502a

Lukeyy19

I'm not sure if the Warranty is worldwide but I'm pretty sure AppleCare is, I bought an Applecare plan for my Mac on ebay, and when it arrived, it was german, but it works fine here in the UK.