Apple Care.... Is it bumper to bumper?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Canuckistan, Aug 20, 2009.

1. Canuckistan macrumors member

Abusive use aside, does AC cover all elements of a purchased computer?

Yesterday I overheard a sales rep in one of Canada's "Future Shops" claim that, unlike AC, the Future Shop warranty was bumper to bumper, and included the power pack.

He asserted that AC did not include the power pack.

Perhaps "power pack" was not the exact term he used, but it was power-something.

Thank you.

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Yes, it's essentially bumper-to-bumper. It won't cover cosmetic damage, and it won't cover "consumables" like the battery unless it's a defect. So if you put heavy usage (or very little usage) on your battery, it might run down within the 3-year AppleCare term and not be covered, but that's about it.

If you own an Airport Express/Extreme or Time Capsule, they'll even cover that if you have active AppleCare on a machine.

3. crees! macrumors 68000

crees!

Maybe they offer additional services than AppleCare? The machine is covered under the duration of the warrant sans abuse.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

5. antibact1 macrumors 6502

Stay away from Future Shop warranties. They will say whatever they have to so you will buy it as the get significant commissions on them. I've had it pushed on me where the sales associate says it covers things the actual warranty terms indicate explicitly are not covered. Steer clear.