Apple care? Is it worth it???

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Mjg69, Oct 15, 2015.

1. Mjg69 macrumors newbie

Mjg69

was wondering if anyone purchased apple care when buying a new Mac ? It's pretty expensive insurance..I opted not to include it as the 21 inch retina with fusion drive was already getting waaaay up there in price..thoughts?

2. adam9c1 macrumors 65816

adam9c1

The nice thing is you have a year to decide...

I've purchased Apple Care for my phone and have definitely used it...

3. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68020

"Insurance" doesn't include tech support, AppleCare does. That's a factor many people seem to overlook. Of course, if you never use tech support, then that feature is worthless. (Many people on forums like this seem to think it is worthless - maybe they believe they'll always be able to solve their own problems, or maybe they don't trust tech support but do trust people on the internet...)

4. Fancuku macrumors 6502a

Fancuku

It depends. On something like a base Macbook Air, I wouldn't get it. But on the more expensive models I think it is worth getting it especially if you intend on keeping your Mac for at least 3 years.
    I have it on my mid 2014 Macbook Pro.

5. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

Definitely on iPhones and iPads. My son cracked his iPhone screen and my home button went out on my iPad after the base warranty had expired. We made up the cost of all our devices.

I probably would not get it on a Mac Mini. iMac maybe due to repair difficulty. Yes on MBP.

6. iceman42 macrumors regular

i never buy apple care for my iOS devices.its never worth it i just buy a otter box for it.i always buy apple care for my macs

7. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Also depends on where you live. If you live in the European Union, it is not really worth it IMO. And there are better and cheaper electronic insurances in other cases.

8. rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

i square trade everything , and live without phone support. the only thing i have real applecare on is my watch. i wish square trade didn't have coverage limits.. i spilled water on my macbook air and it nearly wiped out the extended warranty in one claim

9. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

10. adam9c1 macrumors 65816

adam9c1

With apple care if the battery goes under 80% in 3 years they will replace it.

11. Mjg69 thread starter macrumors newbie

Mjg69

Nice to know I have a year to decide..I've never had an apple product fail in 3 years..iPod,I touch,I phone, iPad, so il probably pass on icare..this is my first Mac so I was on the fence...see how it runs then carefully consider nearing end of warranty..thanks for the feedback..

12. Old Muley macrumors 6502a

Old Muley

We bought Applecare for our iPhone 5s's two years ago. When my daughter broke her screen Apple wanted it sent in and were going to charge $98 for the repair. The local fix-it place charged $100 for the same repair done in one hour. While the Apple repair was $2 cheaper, we had to pay $99 for the Applecare up front, which would have meant a total outlay of $197 for the fix. In the future I think we will pass on Applecare and just set the cash aside to pay for our own repairs.

13. Thunderboltedge macrumors regular

Thunderboltedge

I am in Europe and i have left 25 days to think to buy one for my macbook pro 15 mid 2014.
    Which insurance do we have better than Applecare?

14. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Since we don't live in the same country, no clue.

15. sjalfr macrumors newbie

sjalfr

I've been buying Apple stuff for about 10 years. I figured I must have saved about $1000 by "not" buying Apple Care over the years. I spent $150 on a new battery once (probably not covered anyway), that's it. So I'm $850 in the black. That's enough money for some serious repair. I'll keep my fingers crossed, but no Apple Care for me.

16. tibas92013 macrumors 6502

I live in Costa Rica and I ALWAYS buy AppleCare with almost all my Apple Equipment, i.e., Mac Mini(s),IPad 2 and iPad Mini 2, Apple TV, Ipod Touch 5. I buy it because my Apple On-line Assistance expires after 90 Calendar Days and we have very good Apple Authorized Dealerships here in Costa Rica.

17. adam9c1 macrumors 65816

adam9c1

Phone and laptop batteries are covered now if they hold less than 80% of original charge.