Apple Care Mix (old & new)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Big Ron, Oct 29, 2013.

1. Big Ron macrumors 6502

Big Ron

Hopefully this will be easy to answer, iv'e looked on various posts but I'm still unsure however::cool:

I have a late 2012 iMac purched in Dec 2012
    I also bougt a Super Drive at the same time
    Later I purched a Time Capsule from the Refurn store in May 2013

My Question is: If I bought Apple care tomorrow, would it cover all 3 items?

Thanks in advance:eek::D

2. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

I think it would only cover the Mac, but I am not 100% sure.

3. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

Covers iMac only.
    Superdrive & Time Capsule have their own 1 year warranty from date of purchase.

Still worth getting Applecare for peace of mind.

4. Big Ron thread starter macrumors 6502

Big Ron

Thanks, thats exactly it, ive heard as many say "definately" as many have said "not sure". Ill just have to ring Apple:eek:

----------

Does that mean then that the Time Capsule would never be eligible for Apple Care? Seems a bit "rum" to me:confused:

5. tibas92013, Oct 29, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2013

tibas92013 macrumors 6502

I bought a Refurbished 2012 Mac Mini with Applecare last August. A couple of days later I bought an Apple Keyboard and a Refurbished Apple Express Router from the Apple Store. I talked with the Applecare Expert who told me that all of the above would be covered under my Applecare Policy even though it was not all on the same receipt as they give a few days lea-way on their Apple Products.

Your Time Capsule will not be covered as you must have bought it no more than 2 years before your Mac Purchase OR during the duration of a Applecare Plan. So, If you had purchased Applecare for your Mac before you bought the Time Capsule it would have been covered.

6. CrickettGrrrl macrumors 6502a

CrickettGrrrl

My brother bought a Mini, Time Capsule, mouse & keyboard and the peripherals were all covered under his AppleCare. This was 2011 or early 2012 and the AppleCare coverage explicitly mentioned "Time Capsule." BUT, looking at the Apple support site for AppleCare today, it only mentions "Airport" no mention of Time Capsule specifically. However, there doesn't appear to be a separate version of AppleCare for Time Capsule.

http://www.apple.com/support/products/mac.html

What hasn't changed is that it would be covered under AppleCare even if you bought it 2 years before the Mac: "AirPort must be purchased up to two years before your Mac purchase or during the term of your AppleCare Protection Plan coverage."

I know Apple had a lot of problems with Time Capsules but it seems really weasely not to mention them at all on their Apple Support page or the FAQ page.

As long as you registered your AppleCare your peripherals are automatically included. As was mentioned above, save your receipts.

7. Big Ron thread starter macrumors 6502

Big Ron

Yes interesting, I shall phone Apple and post back when I have had chance to digest their answer.

Thanks for all your replies:eek: