Apple Care... never registered, can i still use it?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by paperclip777, May 18, 2012.

1. paperclip777 macrumors newbie

Hi guys, my macbook was bought back in late 2009.

I got a friend to buy it for me, as it was cheaper where he lived... got apple care too.

I never registered it, as I think I needed some of his details.. so, got lazy and forgot.

So, 2 and a half years later, and my mac is on the blink... stuck on caps.

Seeing as I actually bought apple care, am I covered?

I think apple care runs for 3 years... but as I never registered it, not sure if this matters...

2. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

You are not covered and you will likely not have an easy time convincing Apple to do so.

3. Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

In my experience, if you have the receipt, they'll help you. If not, you're SOL.

4. paperclip777 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, it was a friend of a friend who bought it... that was late 2009... would a credit card receipt do?

Oh... the caps thing is gone now... but, only a matter of time.... most likely the beginning of the end.

5. Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

It's worth a try, why not?

6. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

7. trikky macrumors regular

Unless you have the receipt for the Applecare purchase along with the computer, you're pretty much SOL. The Applecare typically has to be registered by the end of the device's standard warranty - 1 year in the case of the MB.

Highly unlikely you'll get any support from Apple on this one, as anyone could say "oh, yeah...I bought this Applecare 3 years ago..." Of course, they MAY be able to determine by the Applecare contract number an approximate age, so it's certainly worth a try. You aren't, however, in a position to expect or demand any support. It was your own fault the Applecare warranty wasn't registered, and therefore it's your own fault if the defect in your computer isn't covered.

Good luck.

8. paperclip777 thread starter macrumors newbie

My friend asked his friend, and he found the receipt... a pdf, so he must have just searched his email.

I rang Apple, and told them the situation, they asked for my serial, and said I was covered for another 260 days!

He could actually hear my fan, as I was ringing on skype... ha ha.

The thing is, I have upgraded my mac, I put in a new hard drive and ram... needed it as I've been doing video work.

I know this voids the warenty, but do you guys know if it effects the apple care?

I still have the old hard drive and ram, and can pop them back in... I had to open the cover anyway, to clean away dust.

There's more dust getting in, as the rubber bottom mealted off... it bubbled and then half hung off, so I had to remove it... I believe overheating and the unibody cracking is a problem with this version.

It's working again... I've ordered a new fan, so will try that... at least it's covered til December... I think...

9. chipchen macrumors 6502

On AppleCare that's not registered:

Yes, you're covered. Call AppleCare at 800-APL-CARE and speak with someone in tech support telling them you want to register AppleCare that you forgot to register. They will eventually transfer you to a group called AppleCare Admin. They need to verify your date of purchase and from where you purchased both items from. If AppleCare was purchased before the end of the first year warranty, shouldn't have any problems registering it for you.

On warranty after hardware upgrades:

Hard drive and RAM upgrades are considered DIY (do it yourself) upgrades and do not void your warranty. Again, in most cases (except Mac Mini and iMac), HARD DRIVE AND RAM UPGRADES DO NOT VOID YOUR WARRANTY.

10. John T macrumors 68020

John T

Accepting the fact that installation of RAM does not void the Apple Warranty. Where did you locate the info regarding hard drives being in the same category?

11. chipchen macrumors 6502

12. John T macrumors 68020

John T

My error! As this is an iMac forum, I assumed you were referring to that model. BTW, I made no mention of 2009!

13. chipchen macrumors 6502

Ahh.. the OP (original poster) mentioned MacBook.

BTW, you're in a general Mac Help forum, not the iMac forum.