Apple Care on iPhone that is not currently active

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tburk32, Nov 2, 2014.

1. tburk32 macrumors member

Hi all,

I have a sprint iphone 5 32gb that has apple care until mid December. The phone currently is not active on any lines but I was wondering if apple would still cover my phone for a replacement. The phone has water damage but still works however I was thinking of getting it replaced under apple care to sell the phone. Also if I got a replacement, would it most likely be a Sprint version or an unlocked version? If this is against site rules and is considered to be wrong or fraudulent I'm sorry and I will delete the post and call Apple in the morning.

thanks in advance

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

AppleCare covers the phone. It doesn't matter if you have wireless service on it or not.
    And yes they will replace it with the same exact model phone, color, storage and off course locked to sprint.
    Everything transfers to the replacement unit. Carrier lock network etc...
    You dont get an unlocked iPhone by replacing a sprint locked iPhone for example.

3. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

You can, however, sometimes accidentally get unlocked devices.

4. Oli20 macrumors member

My understanding is the AppleCare covers the phone, I am not sure it matters if it's active or not. Of course I haven't read the fine print and I've never tried it. I would assume you would get a sprint version. Apple generally replaces exactly what you bring in.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You can accidentally hit the lottery too.
    Odds are very slim though :D

6. tburk32 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the quick responses. I wasn't sure if they'd have a stock of phones for all of the carriers or if they'd just use unlocked phones as the replacements to cut down on inventory. Thanks again for the quick responses.