Apple Care on MacBook Aftermarket

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by BlueJeansRain, Jan 8, 2009.

1. BlueJeansRain macrumors newbie

I'm thinking of buying a macbook that's still in the box, but from a private party. The macbook in question was purchased on a corporate purchase plan. Will I be able buy an apple care plan and use it with this computer?

I was thinking of going in to the genius bar and asking them, but I wanted to take what information about the computer in question they would need to tell me if it were eligible. What information do they need about the computer to sign up for applecare?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Only if it was purchased less than a year ago.

3. BlueJeansRain thread starter macrumors newbie

Right, got that from the terms and conditions on the mac site. What I couldn't find was what info is required to apply for applecare. Serial number? Some other id? Has anyone here purchased applecare for a computer bought through a corporate purchasing plan?

4. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

You can check the date that Apple considers the beginning purchase date of the computer in question by entering the serial number at the Online Service Assistant page first. If it is less than a year before today's date you can purchase an AppleCare contract for it.

5. BlueJeansRain thread starter macrumors newbie