apple care on used imac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by marcolino, Jul 26, 2012.

1. marcolino macrumors newbie

its months now that im waiting for the new imac and im quite sick of it, but i dont want to spend that much money on 2011 tech so im looking for a used 2011 model. i found some quite interesting macs on ebay.
    my question is: can i purchase apple care for an imac that i didnt purchase by myself and thats already been used by another person if its still in its one year warranty period?

2. simsaladimbamba

Yes, you can, as the Apple Care is not tied to a person, but to the Mac, thus if your Mac gets stolen, it is still protected by Apple Care.

You could also take a look at the Refurbished Macs section on the Apple Online Store for cheaper 2011 Macs, coming with one year warranty, extendable by another two years via Apple Care.

3. marcolino thread starter macrumors newbie

thx, do i need the original bill to purchase apple care for a used imac?

4. simsaladimbamba

As far as I know, no.

5. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

you should be able to verify how much time remains under the original warranty of the imac you're thinking about buying by entering the serial number at Apple's site......here

if for some reason it doesn't show up on their system, then you might need the original receipt (this happened to me years ago and the receipt resolved the issue)