Apple care option?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macamateur, Mar 18, 2008.

1. macamateur macrumors newbie

Hi,

Is it worth getting the Apple care extension? Thanks

2. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

usually, especially if you can afford the extra what $300? $349?

i generally always buy the extended warranty on notebooks just because

a. they is expensive
    b. integrated display
    c. hard to fix yourself

3. macamateur thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi Squeeks,

Thanks for the fast response! Ok, I'll get it. Buying a refurbished one so I think you're right...

4. DesignerOnMac macrumors 6502a

DesignerOnMac

There are plenty of places were you can get AppleCare for less. LA Computing usually has AppleCare at a discount.

5. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

there are some on ebay as well, but im not sure how much i trust that

6. macamateur thread starter macrumors newbie

is la computing pretty reliable? Also, can you buy the applecare from a separate retailer? It sounds like you can activate it within a period of time.

7. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

It can be worth it but I'd wait until month eleven just in case you don't have it anymore...
    You could sell before year is up or -
    I had one stolen at less than a year old so glad I didn't buy it at purchase.

You have up to one year to purchase.

8. pazreal macrumors regular

Yeah wait until the last minute. I always get Applecare since I always end up using it (even if for cosmetic and minor issues).

9. calvy macrumors 65816

and FYI, I got my macbook pro apple care for 200 bucks on ebay. That's 150 bucks cheaper than from the apple store. Just look for sellers with good ratings.

10. eyespii macrumors 6502

Make sure you check with the credit card that you used to buy the computer. I know with AMEX and MC they automatically double the factory warranty, so technically applecare would only get you one additional year. $350 for one additional year isn't worth it in my book.

11. calvy macrumors 65816

That Amex deal doesn't get you phone tech support and if you've only got a bad keyboard 2 years into the deal, I doubt Amex would give you a new computer out of the deal, and Apple would be able to easily replace the keyboard no problem.

I don't know. I love my Amex card and it's benefits. But I still like having Apple Care. Especially at 200.

12. fredrickyoon macrumors regular

fredrickyoon

I've been getting AppleCare for my entire Apple family and it's helped in the long run. Granted, things do happen and the trust of AppleCare has always pulled through for me.

I've purchased all of mine on ebay, through reputable sellers, just be sure to check out their feedback and their selling history to be sure that the deal is in fact legit.

Always use your good judgment though.

13. andrewdale macrumors 6502a

Not sure if you're a student or not, but the educational discount for AppleCare is a pretty good discount. I think it's 239 USD. If you can't find one on eBay for less, that's about as good as it gets, I think.

14. asmallchild macrumors regular

What is bundled in AppleCare?

Support behind 90 days?

I'm not a huge fan of phone support and was planning on driving to my local store (5 minutes from where I live anyway) for help. Would I need an AppleCare plan in order to continue doing this after the original warranty has expired?

15. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

3 year apple care is a must! Its well worth it.

16. deadpixels macrumors 6502a

deadpixels

my MBPro has its 1st bday this month and i got applecare for it last week, got it on ebay for 225.

17. eyespii macrumors 6502

Of course AMEX wouldn't give you a new computer if you had a busted keyboard, but what they will do is reimburse you for apple's repair fees, whatever that ended up being (as long as it wasn't more than the cost of your notebook). I also have no clue about the phone support - doesn't sound like AMEX would cover that, and even if they did it would only double the 90 days to 180 anyway.

I've had very good experiences with AMEX and their extended warranty policy on an old Sony that had the HDD go bad. AMEX even fronted the money - all I had to do was send the computer to Sony. No out of pocket cost for me! You definitely give up a little bit of the convenience factor since you're dealing with another party (AMEX), but the money saved is worth it in my book.

Regardless of who is insuring your computer, some type of extended warranty should be an obligatory purchase on a $2000k+ computer.