Apple Care + or AT&T Insurance?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TexasFight1012, Oct 18, 2011.

1. TexasFight1012 macrumors newbie

Assuming cost wasn't a factor in this decision, which of these do you think is a better choice for my new iPhone 4S? Keep in mind that I plan on keeping the phone until my contract expires in 24 months.

2. Brazzy macrumors regular

Apple has much better customer service. I can imagine att making it a complete hassle to file claim.

3. deeddawg macrumors 604

AT&T seems to be $6.99 per month plus $199 deductible per incident, but includes loss/theft protection. See http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/en_US/pdf/INSPDT03110149E_FINAL.pdf

AppleCare+ is $99 one time, plus $49 for each of two accidental damage claims and includes extended warranty coverage (no limit/deductible). No loss/theft protection.

Which (if either) makes the most sense for you is an individual decision.

4. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

I would rather go with AT&T due to the fact that your phone is more likely to be lost or stolen IMO.

5. BLOND37 macrumors 6502a

i think i'm gonna go with thr att one..

6. deeddawg macrumors 604

Check with your renters or homeowners insurance as to the cost (if any) to obtain loss/theft protection.

7. iphoneclassic macrumors 6502

Does ATT charge deductable if there is an electornics issue without damage. I hope not.

AppleCare+ advance ships a new device or you can go to local Apple Store and exchange the device for any number of reasons for no charge. $49 only if there is damage.

So over 24 months you pay $68 more for ATT Mobile Insurance + $199 per lost/damage incident.

Unless you expect to loose phone, AC+ is better than ATT MI.

8. deeddawg macrumors 604

My interpretation of the AT&T plan is that after the original warranty expires, any claim will invoke the deductible. I could be wrong. Under "Covered Incidents" it lists "[...]Mechanical and/or Electrical Malfunction after the Manufacturer’s Warranty Period has expired."