Apple Care or Hard Drive upgrade

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by iphone529, Dec 29, 2008.

1. iphone529 macrumors regular

Hi Everyone,

I am the proud owner of a new alu macbook. I found that on ebay I can purchase applecare for $130 or I can upgrade my stock 160gb to a 500gb hard drive for the same price.

Which would you do?

2. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

well, you don't really HAVE to do one or the other. you can get the applecare now, upgrade the HDD whenever you run out of room on your current HDD. on the other hand, you could upgrade your drive now and buy applecare later; you have a year from the time you purchase the computer to get applecare....

that didn't help at all, did it?

3. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Ehh...if you get Applecare, you extend the 24 hour telephone support from 90 days to 3 years. Otherwise, there is no compulsory reason to buy either at this moment.

4. jpk32092 macrumors 6502

applecare.. you'll regret not getting applecare if your macbook breaks. plus, you can always upgrade your hdd later

5. iphone529 thread starter macrumors regular

The only reason I would want to upgrade hd right now is the awful clicking noise from the one i got. Apple says its completely normal, but its driving me nuts.

6. SuperSnake2012 macrumors 6502a

You have a year from the purchase date to extend your Applecare, so I'd do it then. I waited until pretty much the last month of my one year warranty with Apple. The decision is a lot easier if you have an Apple Store nearby and don't need the phone support.

7. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

i've always waited until near the cut-off date to buy applecare. it's surprising that apple is saying that the clicking is normal... unless you have a seagate drive. in my experience the "seek" noise that seagate drives have is unbelievably annoying. usually, a clicking noise is usually indicative of a faulty drive.... if it were ME, i'd make sure i always back up my data, then wait for the drive to fail.

8. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

Depends how awful it really is. If it is the idle click intermittently that is only audible in a silent room then it is normal. (Could be changed with hdapm). But if it sounds like a card stuck in a wheel then you need to get it checked.

Any HDD you put in there will make the same sound. So changing to a 500GB drive won't help. Trust me on this. It is the overzealous sudden motion sensor that causes parking of the drive head also to save power when idle.

9. iphone529 thread starter macrumors regular

It is not intermittent at all, it is Constant and but I can only hear it in a quiet room, but man it is loud. Quite annoying to tell you the truth.

10. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

http://doaday.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/mbpnoise2.mp3

Does it sound like this? Someone on the Apple Discussion Boards swapped their MBP with this sound. I believe it was a fan but I'm not sure.

Anyway, does your sound come from the bottom right corner? If you say constant does it happen all the time or is there 5-10 or more seconds in between?

11. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

I've sold multi-media at a major electronics store for over 10 years and it's been my experience that people who put off buying the extended warranty (because they have the option to) hardly ever end up buying it because their product is still working. Then, wouldn't ya know it, the included one year warranty ends and something goes wrong right after the warranty expires.

You can buy the HDD at any time and it's something that you are likely not to forget to do but you may forget about the Applecare so get it NOW. You won't regret it, but if you wait, you may.

12. iphone529 thread starter macrumors regular

It kind of sounds like that. I put my ear up to the hard drive with the bottom case off and it was not coming from that. So the hard drive is fine, it was practically silent.

The sound is coming from the bottom Left corner, under the battery. I assume that is the fan? any known issues with this?