Apple care phone support - worth it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dgrog, Sep 18, 2012.

1. dgrog macrumors member

Hi :)

I ordered my 15inch MacBook Pro earlier today using the eduction store so got discount. (did it all over the phone as I was off campus).

I was also offered (or so I thought) 3yr warrantary for £60 rather than £300 odd. Which I accepted.

Afterwards, when reading around I discovered that I had the 3yr hardware supports due to buying through the education store and the £60 was just for telephone support.

So - I know computers pretty well, although this is my first mac - is having the telephone support worth it? Or should I ring up and cancel the apple care? Thanks :)

2. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

If nothing else, it's great when you're selling it on, as it's "full AppleCare" versus "HE Student 3 year hardware cover".

3. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

If it doesn't include repair service/cover defects then cancel it if you can.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It depends on how much you think you'll use telephone support and what your knowledge level is. I find that the few times I've called for telephone support, they knew less about the issue I was calling about than I did. I doubt you'll get any telephone support via AppleCare that you couldn't get from this forum.

5. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Totally agree. The real difficulty is that they can't actually see your machine, so they'll generally make you run through the standard "have you tried turning it off and on again, software update, unplug/reinstall everything, etc" when really you can see the black vertical bars going through my screen that's clearly not related to "x" that they're having me try and troubleshoot. It's not bad per se, it's just easier a lot of times to be physically talking to someone.

6. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

Complete waste for 60 quid IMO. The MacBook Pro forum is free, and probability suggests that from several thousand users you are more likely to come to a solution with less effort if you have a problem.

7. Ryukouki macrumors regular

My apple care person told me over the phone after two hours of screen sharing that my repeated dead hdd was a cause of Diablo III for mac. So no don't waste your time on that. :/

8. dgrog thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replies. I think I may cancel it as I'm normally pretty good with computers so don't think I'll need it for any help figuring out how stuff works.

And I'd assume you'd take it the Apple Store if it broke, no?

Any other views welcome :)

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, or ship it to Apple.