Apple Care "Proof of Coverage"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Tex-Twil, Sep 21, 2009.

1. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

Hi,
    I've just registered the serial number of Apple Care for my UMBP. When I enter my MBP serial here it tells me correctly that I'm covered till 2011. But when I click the link "Proof of Coverage" on this page it tells me

Furthermore, I haven't received any e-mail after registering the AppleCare SN.

Shall I be worried ?

Tex

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

It takes a few days for the applecare to be registered. Wait a little while.

3. Tex-Twil thread starter macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

ok. I bought it on ebay so I'm not so confident ..:(

thanks

4. n19htmare macrumors member

Lot of people buy it on ebay. Hopefully you bought from a respected seller who deals with warranties. there are a few sellers who sell a few of them and have very good feedback.

A loner seller with low feedback will raise a red flag for me atleast.

5. Tex-Twil thread starter macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

yep the guy had 100% good feedback. Though I read here a story of a guy who got screwed on ebay cose Apple asked him a copy of a invoice like 60 days after he bought it from ebay. Hence his paypal insurance was out.

6. Tex-Twil thread starter macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

Hi,
    it's been 5 days now since I registered the AppeCare serial and still no confirmation email and the "Proof of Coverage" also doesn't work :(

7. Higgs1 macrumors 6502

Higgs1

I bought my personal one and had it it all registered with email confirmation within an hour from start of purchase on ebay to email from apple

just did on monday actually for my gf's birthday and same deal, everything all confirmed and set within an hour.

good luck, hopefully its just a bug or something

8. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

9. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Usually you don't need any proof... Just login to your Apple ID and check the serial number of the device your using the APP for, if it's successful, the expiration date for your warranty period will be extended. If not.. contact Apple but sometimes they'll need proof of purchase.

Good Luck

10. thesmoth macrumors 6502

So if you have the retail box, with the serial number on the box, as well as the activation code, does that count as proof of purchse (if you got it off ebay and don't have a receipt). What if you got it as a gift and don't have the receipt?

11. n19htmare macrumors member

that IS your proof of purchase (the box).

12. Kamote_Akbar, Sep 29, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2016

Kamote_Akbar macrumors newbie

Kamote_Akbar

I'm also having the same prob. It's been a couple of weeks since I started trying but it just won't go through and I've given up.

Oh and btw, a proof of PURCHASE, as the word implies, should be the payment receipt issued by the retailer who sold it to you or a printable purchase history from the apple website or an official e-commerce and NOT the box nor the serial number. A MacBook can be stolen with its packaging but a receipt normally shows payment transaction.
    --
    However, after 7 YEARS, has anybody got an answer yet? Please help. Thanking you guys in advance!☺️

13. aristobrat macrumors G4

IIRC, Apple changed their AppleCare "proof" requirements in the late 2000s when folks cracked the code for making AppleCare serial numbers and started generating/selling them on eBay for way cheap.

Apple had no way of knowing if you were registering these bogus serial numbers, or if you got a legit serial number out of one of their retail AppleCare boxes.

If there was ever any doubt of authenticity (because sometimes someone would bought legit AppleCare would try to register a serial number that was already registered by someone who bought the same number from a bogus seller), Apple would just ask for a receipt from an official Apple reseller (who should be the only folks selling legit AppleCare anyway), or the box that the AppleCare came in, to verify the purchase. The person who bought their number from a bogus seller wouldn't have that.