Apple care protection plan does it pay to buy?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by msarway, Jul 20, 2008.

1. msarway macrumors 6502

msarway

Does it pay to buy the apple care protection plan for the 3G iphone?

2. spartantex macrumors newbie

NO - It only covers the phone if it craps out. No damage caused by you. Plus its $60 for 1 additional year. Thats 20% to 25% of the cost of the phone. If the phone craps out on its own within the first year it is covered by apple.

3. robhedin macrumors regular

Applecare can be useful, if and only if, the device has a warrantee issue. If you drop it and it breaks, it's not covered under Applecare (not that you might not try to tell them that it just stopped working and perhaps get away with it as long as there is nothing obviously showing otherwise).

Applecare can be purchased as long as the original warrantee is in effect. So basically, the "best" thing to do is to wait almost a year until your current warrantee is about to expire, then purchase Applecare.

Personally, I have a hard time justifying spending the money on only 1 extra year-- especially since many credit cards will provide this level of coverage automatically simply by virtue of using them to purchase the product.

rob.

4. jimmyd227 macrumors newbie

No, that really is not the case.

First, assuming you are with AT&T and have a two year contract, that means you will not be eligible for a subsidized upgrade for 2 years. So if you phone "crapped out" in a year and a month, you have to pay FULL price for a replacement. Which will run $599 or $699 - depending on your model. Which means the AppleCare Warranty is only 10% to 11.5% of the cost of the phone.

The other reason is that the AppleCare will cover your battery for a period of two years. And since we all know the battery life is already a little on the short side, if that starts to drop after a year and a half, they will give you a new one for free. That right there pays for the cost of the AppleCare Warranty.

5. aneftp macrumors 68040

Apple Care is not worth it for cell phones. Probably for notebooks/iMacs but definitely not for cell phones.

Think about how long you will use the cell phone. Maybe 2 years at most (Most people on MacRumors are fanatics and go through electronics like crazy). I personally get bored with cell phones after 6 months and resell and buy another one. I currently have 4 cell phones that I alternate between my Tmobile and ATT lines but again I am not the norm.

So assuming you are just a regular user and plan on using it for 2 years and you know you have at least a one year warranty. Most electronics break within the first 30 days if there's a problem.

Second, if you purchased with a platinium credit card, they will double the warranty (assuming you keep good records of your credit card receipts and the original receipt). They double your apple iphone warranty to 2 years. I've exactly used the visa plat. free extended warranty to replace the motherboard on my laptop (it cost $450 to replace a 15 month laptop) and VISA sent me a check within 10 business days and this was FREE.

So why waste money on the extended warranty. The extended warranty does not cover the most important part to fail on a cell phone....the cell battery.