Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cyborg21

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 2, 2013
Hi I'm going to switch to Mac soon but I have some questions. I heard that you get 1 year free Apple Care if you buy a Mac, is it true? Can I purchase extra 3 year Apple Care Protection Plan before 1 year protection plan expires or Do I have to purchase it with buying Mac? Also will higher specs on iMac will extend lifespan of iMac? Sorry for my bad english it's not my native language.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Hi I'm going to switch to Mac soon but I have some questions. I heard that you get 1 year free Apple Care if you buy a Mac, is it true? Can I purchase extra 3 year Apple Care Protection Plan before 1 year protection plan expires or Do I have to purchase it with buying Mac? Also will higher specs on iMac will extend lifespan of iMac? Sorry for my bad english it's not my native language.

All Apple computers come with a free one-year warranty. You can extend that warranty for an additional two years, for a total of three years coverage, by buying AppleCare anytime within the first year that you own your Mac. Higher specs on any computer will not decrease or extend the lifespan.

AppleCare
AppleCare Protection Plan for Mac or Apple Display
  • You can buy AppleCare any time during the first year warranty period, so you don't have to buy it at time of purchase.
  • You can check your remaining warranty and/or AppleCare coverage here
  • AppleCare will extend the 1 year warranty for an additional 2 years, for a total of 3 years coverage from the date of your Mac purchase. It also extends telephone support from 90 days, which is included with your original warranty, to a total of 3 years.
  • AppleCare follows the device, not the owner. When a Mac changes hands, the AppleCare coverage still applies to the computer. There is no need to "register" the new owner in order to receive coverage.
  • You cannot buy AppleCare again for the same device or renew it.
  • Neither the Apple Warranty nor AppleCare will cover damage from accidents, spills, etc. They only cover manufacturing defects.
  • AppleCare+ provides some coverage for accidental damage, but is only available for the iPad and iPhone, not for Apple computers.
  • Neither the Apple Warranty nor AppleCare will cover batteries that have worn out. They only cover defective batteries.
  • You can buy AppleCare from Apple or from other sources, such as Amazon, B&H Photo Video, L.A. Computer Company and others. Exercise caution when buying from sites such as eBay, as some AppleCare offers have been scams.
  • For more detailed questions, read the AppleCare Protection Plan (pdf) agreement.
  • Apple to Update AppleCare with Subscription Service and In-Store Repair Options
As to whether AppleCare is worth it or not, that's a matter of opinion. You'll find lots of opinions on both sides, with roughly 75% saying it's worth it. You really need to decide if it's worth it to you. If you want more information, you can search the forum, where you'll find dozens, if not hundreds of threads asking "is AppleCare worth it?" The overall consensus seems to be about 75% in favor of it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.