Apple care question

Alexrat1996

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 29, 2015
Lehigh valley PA
Is it possible to replace the lightning cable via Apple express replacement via my Apple care ?

How you people done it before ?

How is it packaged ?

Are the cables new ?

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Ventura County
Is it possible to replace the lightning cable via Apple express replacement via my Apple care ?

How you people done it before ?

How is it packaged ?

Are the cables new ?
Yes you can. Did it last week. Contact AppleCare+, they will send you a new cable and a box, you send the broken cable back. So much easier than waiting 7 days for a Genius Bar appointment.

Alexrat1996

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 29, 2015
Lehigh valley PA
They are new, but it will just come in a little bag in an envelope, it will not come in retail packaging. Genius Bar replacements don't come in retail packaging either. Then you just ship back the broken one.
Ok thanks it's my first time replacing the cables via express.
[doublepost=1476157325][/doublepost]@Mlrollin91 how the replacement cable doing does it work fine?

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Ventura County
Ok thanks it's my first time replacing the cables via express.
[doublepost=1476157325][/doublepost]@Mlrollin91 how the replacement cable doing does it work fine?
Its fine, its literally a cable that comes with your iPhone or iPad.
[doublepost=1476157469][/doublepost]
Minus the plastic, they use paper/cardboard now, like how it was wrapped with the iPhone 7. More environmentally friendly.

Videomanmac

Suspended
Apr 3, 2015
I have actually done this before and they didn't require me to send back the old ones. I got the box and there was no return label. So I called and they said don't worry about it.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Ventura County
I have actually done this before and they didn't require me to send back the old ones. I got the box and there was no return label. So I called and they said don't worry about it.
Interesting. Typically the return label is attached to the original shipping label. You just peel off the top one. But most the time they will do a credit card hold for the cost of the item and will remove the hold once they return the original product back.

Alexrat1996

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 29, 2015
Lehigh valley PA
I always have to put a card on hold till they get the old item back
[doublepost=1476158639][/doublepost]Are the two meter cables covered under Warrenty also

Videomanmac

Suspended
Apr 3, 2015
Interesting. Typically the return label is attached to the original shipping label. You just peel off the top one. But most the time they will do a credit card hold for the cost of the item and will remove the hold once they return the original product back.
I remember freaking out because I did not want to be charged the hold. But, there was nothing to peel off (except the paper coming apart) and the AppleCare person said it's fine.
[doublepost=1476158804][/doublepost]
I always have to put a card on hold till they get the old item back
[doublepost=1476158639][/doublepost]Are the two meter cables covered under Warrenty also
Yes and no. There's no serial number, but as long as you have an iPhone, or iPad in warranty, they will replace the lightening cable.