Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

firewire9000

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 15, 2015
Hi,

Does APP+ cover liquid damage to iPhone 7? In their website says yes but to 6s and before. Does not mention 7 model.

Thanks!

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
It does if it accidental but if you decide to go swimming with it then no

I don't think that applies to the iPhone 7. Its rated for 30 minutes in 3 feet of water. So if you go swimming with it and it breaks, thats accidental damage. There is a fine line between accidental and purposeful damage.

Jacntaylor

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2016
Tallahassee
The only thing that is not covered is loss or theft.
I have no apple+ care and the phone was dropped (bottom half only) in milk for less than 5 seconds. Now the bottom microphone doesn't work at all and the top one is very faint. Do you think this is covered? Do you think it is coincidence?? I am new to all of this so please forgive any ignorance on my part.
[doublepost=1479149054][/doublepost]
I have no apple+ care and the phone was dropped (bottom half only) in milk for less than 5 seconds. Now the bottom microphone doesn't work at all and the top one is very faint. Do you think this is covered? Do you think it is coincidence?? I am new to all of this so please forgive any ignorance on my part.
Also the phone is less than 60 days from purchase.

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA

If you don't have applecare + and dropped your phone in milk then no, it is not covered under Apple's standard warranty. Try taking it in and they may be nice.

Reactions: Applejuiced

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.

What kind of milk was it?
Skim milk is not covered.

Jacntaylor

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2016
Tallahassee
What kind of milk was it?
Skim milk is not covered.
Story of my life.
[doublepost=1479150358][/doublepost]
If you don't have applecare + and dropped your phone in milk then no, it is not covered under Apple's standard warranty. Try taking it in and they may be nice.
Ok. Thanks. I guess I wouldn't have thought that a few seconds would have done this much damage. Neither of the microphones are working and only the bottom half touched the liquid.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Makes you wonder about the IP68 claim to water resistance??? Seems you hear stories where it got dunked in feet of water and survived and then dips in milk and dies, almost.

The claim is IP67. But you are correct. There have been very inconsistent results when it comes to the water resistant rating. I don't trust it at all. I am treating my 7Plus as any other iPhone. Really sucks considering that was one of the selling points to me. I probably would have kept my 6s for another year.

Jacntaylor

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2016
Tallahassee
The claim is IP67. But you are correct. There have been very inconsistent results when it comes to the water resistant rating. I don't trust it at all. I am treating my 7Plus as any other iPhone. Really sucks considering that was one of the selling points to me. I probably would have kept my 6s for another year.
That was my thought too. Why even bring up that it's water (apparently not milk) resistant if it won't even be covered by the warranty.

Reactions: Mlrollin91

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.

Im with you on that.
Im not risking getting my i7 wet at all no matter what they water resistant rating is :)
But that wasn't really a major reason updating from the 6 Plus to the 7 Plus.

Jacntaylor

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2016
Tallahassee
Im with you on that.
Im not risking getting my i7 wet at all no matter what they water resistant rating is :)
But that wasn't really a major reason updating from the 6 Plus to the 7 Plus.
Good news! I spoke with Apple and the individual didn't feel that it would be a liquid issue. They ran a diagnostic report and couldn't see anything. I will be going to the Apple Store tomorrow to trade in the defective device.

JulesJam

Suspended
Sep 20, 2014
Did you buy full retail and pay with an American Express? They have accidental damage protection for 90 days.

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/credit-cards/benefits/detail/purchase-protection/premier-gold
[doublepost=1479168628][/doublepost]
Good news! I spoke with Apple and the individual didn't feel that it would be a liquid issue. They ran a diagnostic report and couldn't see anything. I will be going to the Apple Store tomorrow to trade in the defective device.
Buy AppleCare+ if you are within 60 days.

OriginalAppleGuy

Suspended
Sep 25, 2016
Virginia
Apple tends to under rate their devices, not over rate them. Even the 6S models had some water resistance Apple didn't mention. I'd be shocked if an iPhone 7 fell in to milk or any other non acidic liquid and it became damaged. Saw the video of the guy who dunked the iPhone 5' at a time for 5 min each down to 35'. The phone survived and it didn't look staged in any way.

Please let us know the final outcome!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.