Apple Care Refund?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Unprocessed1, May 14, 2009.

1. Unprocessed1 macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

I bought my macbook on ebay w/ Apple Care, but the Apple care is still in the seller's name. If I want a refund on the Apple Care, will they be able to refund it to me, or will they send the check to the seller?

I bought the laptop almost a year ago, and the seller will not return my ebay messages or emails and honor my request to change the info on the Apple Care, even though he sold the Apple care as part of the auction.

2. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Since you are not the registered purchaser of APP, you can neither receive nor request a refund. Even if you were, it's still an "all sales are final" proposition. If the seller won't execute a transfer, you're most likely out of luck.

You can try calling either Apple Care support or Apple Customer Care, but your odds (and options) are limited.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It doesn't actually matter if your machine's serial number has been registered as having AppleCare. AppleCare is tied to the machine, not the owner.

4. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

5. Unprocessed1 thread starter macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

My warranty was voided for accidental damage.

So can I personally get the refund or not? I guess I should just call Apple, but I don't want the jerk that sold me the laptop to get $200, when it should be my money, since he sold me the apple care w/ the macbook.

6. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

The warranty wasn't voided, it's just that you were refused warranty repair because accidental damage isn't covered in the first place.

7. Unprocessed1 thread starter macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

Hmm on the bill for the repair it says the warranty is voided, but I hope you're right. So if I get it fixed, the macbook will still be under warranty? That makes sense, as some people were telling me the warranty is forever dead after the accidental damage, which seems really severe.

8. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Err, I've actually never heard of a warranty being voided outright- as in the remaining time was just instantly nullified. But you might want to call them for clarification, since that printed on your receipt begs explanation.

So, if I'm right and accidental damage doesn't void your warranty forever, it's kind of a slippery slope that Apple can push you down. They could say that system damage was caused by your accidental damage and refuse you service on those grounds.