Apple Care - Register Now or Later?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by taibien86, Mar 16, 2008.

1. taibien86 macrumors member

I just got a new MBPro and I purchased Apple Care. Should I open it now and register my mac or wait for 6 months to a year to register (assuming nothing goes wrong with my Mac during that period)?

If I do wait, is there a way for Apple to tell when I purchased it? (I got the notebook though my university's computer store)

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Apple knows when you bought the computer by the serial number. Register now, as it will instantly extend the phone support, which they will walk you through just about any problem you are having over the phone, and is a godsend sometimes.

TEG

3. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

There generally isn't any reason to wait. You already bought the AppleCare, so I assume that means you plan to use it. Would anything change in the next 6-12 months that would alter those plans? If so, then I suppose you might wait. But if not, go ahead and register it now so that you don't forget to do so and miss the one-year window.

If your machine was purchased from a third-party retailer, Apple should just have an estimated purchase date listed in their system. You can contact them to have it corrected. Check your serial number on Apple's support page and see what they have entered, because you have one year from that date in which to activate the AppleCare.

4. dvd macrumors regular

dvd

Go to this Apple support URL and input your system serial number and Country. It will tell you when your 1-year warranty expires. AppleCare lets you tack on 2 extra years to that date, no more, no less, regardless of when you register it. It doesn't matter when you register AppleCare, the extension is based on the 1-year warranty date.

5. taibien86 thread starter macrumors member

thanks. thats what i wanted to know.

6. trinity.ilmange macrumors newbie

hey,
    didn't want to open a new thread. hopefully someone reads this :D

how come some companies offer the apple care protection plan cheaper than apple itself?
    I'm thinking about getting a mca book pro and the apple price for the protection plan is $349

now i go to http://www.mac-pro.com/s.nl;jsessio...3iKaNePch4Re34Pa38Ta38Sbhj0?sc=2&category=502
    and see that their price for (presumably) the same plan is $ 267

Is it not the same plan? I don't get it...

Franzi

7. gothamm macrumors 6502a

8. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

I don't know how some places offer it so cheap but people on these forums have order AppleCare cheaply from eBay and have been very satisfied.

To the OP: I'd recommend waiting 6-10 to register the Applecare, that way if for some reason you decide to sell the MBP you can sell the AppleCare separately or with the machine. Just be sure not to lose the AppleCare before you register it.

9. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

It is the exact same product.

I recommend buying from L.A. Computer. I got Apple Care for my iMac from them. Personally I would recommend them over eBay auctions. They have excellent, reliable service.

MacBook Pro AppleCare coverage for $245

10. trinity.ilmange macrumors newbie

Thank you so much!

after planning to spend so much on a mac i try to save where i can :D

not sure if i dare to use ebay but that la computer store looks ok.

thx again

Franzi *soon to be MBP owner*

11. dcl macrumors regular

dcl

- If you don't want a deal on Apple:apple:Care buy from an Apple Store.
    - If you want a little off, get it from LA Computer Store.
    - For a much better deal, buy from a reputable Ebay seller.
    - For over 1/2 off find a CompUSA Store that's still open with Applecare in stock.

If you planning on keeping your Mac for over 3 years, then go ahead and register your Apple:apple:care.
    But, If your the type that needs the latest and greatest, hold off registering the apple:apple:care until you need it or right before the 1 year from purchase date.
    If you sell before 1 year, you will get more money back by selling the Mac and Unused Apple:apple:care separately.

Your Mac still comes with 1 year and after the 90 days phone support, you can still get answers from here and an Apple :apple: Store Genius.

12. trinity.ilmange macrumors newbie

:D already noticed that apple folks are really nice and helpful people

the ebay guy actually emailed me back and he said he bought his apple care products at a local CompUSA store when that went out of business (for 60%off). so that's why he can at least start on a low price (and hopes the auction will push it up). maybe ebay isnt all that bad :cool:

Franzi