Apple Care replacement within 14 days?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ronaldcastillo, Mar 27, 2011.

1. ronaldcastillo macrumors 6502a

Normally it will be a brand new unit, so will the receipt be required if they would give me a new device? I've been having a few problems with mines and will end up taking it to the Genius Bar, but sadly I don't have the receipt. The person that got me the iPad did purchase for me. Is this going to be a problem?

2. apd8 macrumors member

AppleCare usually covers 1 year, right? (It's the return policy that limits to 14 days)
    So, if your device has defects, they should exchange a new one for you. And I remember when I had a problem with my iPhone, I just brought it to Apple Store without a receipt.

Anyway, you can call customer service first to ask if you need a receipt and schedule an appointment with the genius team to exchange in the same call.

3. ronaldcastillo thread starter macrumors 6502a

Normally if its within the 14 days they normally give you a brand new unit sealed and just return them everything from your old one, is that correct?

4. icecrystal23 macrumors 6502

If it's defective, then the 1 year manufacturer's warranty applies with or without Apple Care, I believe.

I've gotten two replaced and didn't need a receipt either time.

5. ronaldcastillo thread starter macrumors 6502a

Was it a completely new iPad 2 (sealed)? Hopefully my Apple Retail store has a few extra. I called Apple Care and told me to take it down there, and they already inputted the notes from the call.

6. C N Reilly macrumors regular

I can't see the lack of receipt being an issue; people give iPads as gifts all the time. It probably won't hurt to have registered it, though (which you already did the first time you synced it).

They do have fresh iPads in the back, specifically for return replacement only. You won't get a refurb, though it may come in the infamous generic brown box.

7. tirnszw macrumors member

My defective one was just returned (with original receipt) few days ago on the 14th day of purchase and got the "sealed" brand new one (32GB 3G Verizon). What he said was that I had to officially return the old iPad and to purchase the new one with the defective one since it is still under the 14-day period. I kind of felt sorry for people waiting outside hunting for the last few iPads in stock because, my genius appointment was early in the morning before iPads were handed out to the people in line. I now have yet another 14 days for return on the brand new unit. So do not ask for warranty replacement. It's a cooling-off-period return, and if it is in stock, immediate repurchase, without waiting in line. Hope this helps.

8. vladtheimpaler macrumors regular

vladtheimpaler

.....why don't you just ask Apple Care?

9. blevins321 macrumors 68030

If you do the Applecare replacement instead of just the return, isn't there only a 90-day warranty on the replacement? I'd try to get the receipt.

10. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

No, the 1 year warranty usually starts over.

11. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Hmmph. I only got 90 days on my 3GS. Maybe it's different for iPad.

12. tirnszw macrumors member

I think 90 days for phone support but factory warranty lasts 1 year. For warranty service after 90 days but before 1 year, you'll need to take it to Genius Bar in person.

13. rw3 macrumors 6502a

rw3

All Apple Stores are taking away some iPad 2s from the "incoming" stock for the times where an exchange can be done instead of doing a Genius Bar replacement...they normally take 2 out of each model they get in for this reason alone. They are known in house as "DOA" replacements.

14. Skydivincoastie macrumors member

3 days ago, I found dust under my screen within my 14 day return window....made a genius appointment...they went in the back and got me a brand new in box 64gb wifi iPad!

15. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Oh I know that. I went to the Genius Bar 7 months into the year warranty for a failed update and they replaced with a refurb. The refurb only carries a 90-day warranty period. No year factory warranty on it.

16. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

If you need to go get it replaced at this point take everything with you. If you have it with you they'll just swap you box for box. If not they'll exchange just the iPad.

17. spinstorm macrumors 65816

My apple store swapped a locked iPad 2 bought from a different retailer for a brand new sealed unlocked iPad 2... And they had no sales stock at all apparently.

So they clearly keep some boxed iPads for "emergencies".

(my iPad was locked because of a mistake with the other retailer and I never expected them to give me a new boxed iPad and was amazed that they would do that... Though that was after like 45 mins of discussions... So I didn't think they would.)