Apple Care Replacement

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by arggg14, Dec 27, 2015.

1. arggg14 macrumors 6502a

Here is another one of those story's about Apple doing the right thing.

I had a 2012 15" RMBP with a fan issue (buzzing, scratching and dings), I had it repaired in Dec of 14. Two weeks later the same issue happened again, but I could not sent the machine in for repair as it is my daily driver for work. I delt with the issue for a year.. While the computer never overheated, the fans were just making a constant buzzing noise. I finally had time to bring it in over the holiday this year. The machine was sent to the repair depot in Houston for the fan issue and it turns out they replaced both fans and the logic board. I got the computer back on 12/24 and on 12/26 the the right fan motor went completely dead and the left fan began to spin erratically up to 6k rpm down to 3k, back up to 4k, etc. Immediately went back to the apple store and they offered to replace the entire machine with a brand new 2015 RMBP before I could even ask. Apple Care proved to be well worth the investment again.

The 2012 was a refurb that I bought sometime in 2013. I know Apple refurbs are held to a high standard, but this experience was enough to never make me purchase a refurb from Apple again.

2. fisherking macrumors 601

fisherking

i have a good story: several months before my applecare was to expire, my hardrive died. thing is..it was an SSD that i installed. still, took it to apple, who sent it out for repair. they determined that it was the logic board...so they replaced that, AND the ram (which i'd also installed). i was suprised, but trusted their judgement.

started reinstalling my apps, content...same problem (endless beachballs). i called apple, and they arranged (after some back & forth) for me to take it to an applestore...where they replaced the SSD with a new one.

a week before applecare expired, i brought it in again, figured i'd deal with the keyboard backlight having dimmed considerably over time. they sent it out, replaced the entire keyboard/lower casing), and i got it back a few days later.

just sold it, with almost all-new components. nice!

3. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

That's unfortunate for you but good for everyone else. I'd pick a refurb over a new Mac any day.

Either way, with AppleCare, Apple will take care of you.

4. fisherking macrumors 601

fisherking

nearly half the people i work with have bought refurbished macs from apple (at my suggestion), and none have had a similar experience. yours is unfortunate, but not definitive. the refurbished store remains a great option... just mentioning!