apple care replacing a 17" they gave me options, what do you think?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Brows, Oct 20, 2012.

1. Brows macrumors member

Ive had a number of issues with my Early 2011 17" MBP and applecare wants to replace it. :)

CURRENT SPECS:

Early 2011 17" MBP
    i7 2.3 Ghz (upgraded from the 2.2 Ghz)
    4 GB ram
    500 GB HDD 7200 RPM
    High Rez Matte screen (Upgraded from glossy)

these are the options that they have given me:

refurbished Early 2011 17" (exact same as mine except for HDD)
    i7 2.3 Ghz (upgraded from the 2.2 Ghz)
    4 GB ram
    750 GB HDD 5400 RPM
    High Rez Matte screen (Upgraded from glossy)

New higher end 15" MBP
    i7 2.6 Ghz
    8 GB ram
    750 GB HDD 7200 RPM
    high rez matte screen

Low end Retina MBP
    i7 2.3 Ghz
    8 GB ram
    256 Flash Storage

I have the option of upgrading anything it will jus cost me the upgrade price E.G. id probably go with the upgrade to the Ram on the Retina to 16 GB for the $200 extra (in canada) should i go with the retina route

Also they are giving me the option of transfering my apple care to the new unit or getting a refund for the remaining time left and buying a new apple care for the new machine (sounds like this would also work for the refurbished early 2011 17")

Any thoughts on what they are offering? Im looking for opinions here

2. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Do you have external storage?
    The 256GB can fill up really easy.

3. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

get the retina

Get the retina, it has the new charger port and it very nice. As far as storage goes it has an SD slot and you can get some great portable usb 3 drives at decent cost. I would pony up for the 16gb of ram if you plan on keeping the machine for a few years the 256-512 and the upgraded processor aren't really worth it in my opinion.

4. Brows thread starter macrumors member

Yah the 256 gb storage is a bit of a concern. My HDD isn't full by any means but im running boot camp with its own 75 GB partition for a Windows Game and then on the osx side im at 150 GB used so that almosts fills the HDD right there

5. locoboi187 macrumors 6502a

low end retina is plenty. get that and you wont regret it :)

6. TRMC13 macrumors member

17" replacement, no question. More storage capability, etc.

7. iLukeJoseph macrumors 6502

What's the etc....? Listing storage capacity is silly. Platter drives are dirt cheap.

I would say go the low end rMBP. But you wold have to ask yourself what you can move to an external and if you would be ok with that. Thunderbolt externals are very fast (I have a seagate portable drive with thunderbolt adapter), or even just your standard USB 3.0 (which the 17's don't have).

Oh and you can upgrade the SSD in the rMBP. It's not cheap, but can be done.

8. boto macrumors 6502

boto

I would definitely go with the rMBP and pay the extra for 16GB RAM + 2.6Ghz processor, although I might just wait out for Apple media event to see what else they can offer. Maybe Apple will release a spec bump for the rMBP and will install an Samsung 840 Pro SSD + i7 3740 processor of 2.7Ghz base speed, 1Ghz higher than the current.

9. Brows thread starter macrumors member

the only thing with externals is its a not used at a desk, its a on the couch type of thing. I do have a external 500 GB hooked up to my time capsule, and a couple 500 GB small WD external HDD's, mainly used for back ups from previous computers and file transfers. But they are a pain I would think to use often when its not situated on a desk. Any simple solution for this?

as for the thunderbolt adaptor are you talking a hub and then a HDD plugged into it?

10. TRAV9614 macrumors regular

You could get the 2.6 cmbp and add 16gb of ram and a SSD with the other hard drive in the optical bay for $200. That way you have plenty of storage and a really fast machine.

11. Brows thread starter macrumors member

any recomendations on ram and a SSD for the $200? I see cruicial has 16 GB ram for $82

12. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

With the 17" you're getting the same as your current one; if you want a 17" that's really your only choice.

I would forget about the 15" regular MacBook Pro.

The Retina MacBook Pro is a good choice. You can get the same screen resolution as the 17" and it has more power. Just a heads up you can pay the difference up to the next model (or you can be persuasive—pretend you don't know anything about SSDs, just it'll have less space than your current computer).

Good luck.

13. makaveli559m macrumors 6502

I would go with the classic MacBook Pro, more ports more options and you have the option of later on adding extra things :) For example replacing the dvd drive with an extra harddrive or you can upgrade the RAM your self or even replace the current harddrive on it. Not to mention you will still have the battery indicator and the IR in front so if you want to use a remote you still have the option for that. The Retina doesnt replace the stuff the stuff the Retina MacBook Pro would be missing.

14. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

This ^... Definately! The rMBP has too many issues right now. I would also ask about an anti glare hi res screen for the cMBP.

15. bluespaceoddity macrumors regular

There must have been a reason why you originally bought a 17" MBP in stead of a 15". What made you decide to spend the extra money on the larger screen model back then? Do those considerations still apply?

16. Brows thread starter macrumors member

originally went with the 17 because was coming from a desktop system and was used to the bigger screen size. Also had a dell 17" laptop at the time that was a hell of a lot bulkier than the 17 MBP so i still had the screen size and compared to the dell it was really quite portable. I'm open to the 15 screen size, now i don't think its a huge deal having that little extra space

17. S.L. macrumors regular

S.L.

18. Rhinoevans macrumors 6502

You have to make your own decision based on your needs, but since you ask, here is what I would do.

If you need the screen size, get the 17

I would NOT get the Retina, unless you have a need for a SUPER Hi Res screen

I am not a rMBP fan for 3 reasons;

1. currently to many issues (could be a small sample size, but I don't know for sure)

2. APPEARS the current CPU works to hard to keep up with all those pixels (Maybe Haswell will be the answer for the perfect retina laptop)

3. I like upgrade. For sure 16G Ram, and a bigger SSD, but at apples prices, I prefer the cMBP. Not that much thicker or heavier, and inside the same processor. I looked again last night and for the cMBP apples wants $1000 for the 512. Even the best Samsung is about $500, and for sure cheaper in the next few months (Black Friday)

Dont get me wrong, I LOVE the design of the rMBP, just dont like current CPU/Retina combo and the lack of upgradability. In the near future I would like 32G and 1TB SSD.

I plan on keeping my new MBP for 3-4 years and to be STUCK with the current retina, is not a good idea.

Not sure way people on the forum say not to get the cMBP??? Processing power and all the same. That is what I look at, the power of the machine, not how pretty the screen. JMHO

19. TRAV9614 macrumors regular

You could do the crucial ram and then for the SSD you could do either of these.

128gb http://www.amazon.com/SAMSUNG-2-5-I...TF8&qid=1350799415&sr=1-2&keywords=128+gb+SSD

Here is a good 256 but its a bit more money.

http://www.amazon.com/SAMSUNG-2-5-I...TF8&qid=1350799512&sr=1-2&keywords=256+gb+SSD

I don't know what a good optical bay hard drive caddy is but here is the amazon link to a few.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...-keywords=Sata+3+optical+bay+hard+drive+caddy

Hope I helped.

----------

I completely agree with all of this soon you will be able to get 32gb of ram and for the price apple wants for the 512 SSD you could get 2 Samsung 512gb 830s.

20. Mr.Grey macrumors newbie

I would go with the regular higher end 15". You can easily install an SSD yourself and you have choices. You can also upgrade the RAM yourself as we'll as replace the optical drive with a HD conversion kit.

I believe you'll get a lot more time out of the regular MBP than the retina.

To me this would be a no-brainer. They're giving you 8GB's of RAM and a 750GB hard drive. You can get the Samsung 830 256GB SSD for $160-$200 and use the 750 for storage.

I think next year's retina will be better but for now I would stay away from it.

21. Idefix macrumors 6502

For me, the hi-res matte screen trumps all. I browsed a Retina at an Apple Store and the screen is still too glossy.

I'd go with the new 15", hi-res matte. You get USB 3, firewire, and the optical drive. If you replace the HD with SSD, then get the kit to put the HD into the optical bay, you'll have the best of SSD plus storage. After the 17" the 15" will positively svelte!

Retina is too proprietary, too locked-in.

22. TRAV9614 macrumors regular

I just realized in order to save some money towards the 16gb of ram just ask apple to put in one 8gb stick instead of two 4gb sticks and then you can buy another 8gb stick for $40.

23. mgipe macrumors demi-god

mgipe

Of course, it all depends on individual preferences. Unless you absolutely positively have to have 17", go for the Retina, and pay to upgrade to whatever level you think would be best for your usage.

The 17" is obsolete. Retina is the future. I wouldn't be too concerned with reports of problems -- they're overblown.

AppleCare paid off for you. Might make sense to extend it so you start with brand new everything.

24. Brows thread starter macrumors member

Thats a really good idea, if i go this route I will be trying this for sure

25. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech