Apple Care start date for Backordered MBP ?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by JaxMac, Jun 20, 2007.

1. JaxMac macrumors newbie

JaxMac

Hi,

Wondering if anyone could give me more info.

Macmall has shipped my Apple Care but has backordered my Macbook Pro. So when does my 3 year coverage start?

Thanks!

2. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

You have to register the applecare at apple.com so don't worry. It'll probably be the shipping date.

3. MacDonaldsd macrumors 65816

MacDonaldsd

I have not got apple care but I assume you have to activate it. Maybe a serial number in the box. So it would start from when you get your lovely new MacBook Pro.

4. JaxMac thread starter macrumors newbie

JaxMac

You mean the shipping date of the backordered Macbook Pro?

Thanks!

5. JaxMac thread starter macrumors newbie

JaxMac

By the way, I did find out when placing my order with Macmall that the Apple Care policy can drop to as low as $299.99 (from $349.99) for the Macbook Pro coverage.

I was thinking of getting it at an Apple store with some gift cards, so I wasn't interested at getting it at Macmall. But then the salesperson reduced the price twice. So they do have that authority.

On the otherhand, Amazon already sells it at $299.99.

6. tullys macrumors member

tullys

Not sure if this is widely known about but I've spoke to a few colleagues who's Apple Care start date (or original purchase date) as been incorrect.

I'm waiting for my MPB to arrive and got an email regarding my Apple Care the day after I saw my first shipping notification. The Apple Care email advised my cover would start 15th June 2007 and expire 15th June 2010.

I emailed my sales contact at Apple who bounced my to aftersales (I didn't expect much more TBH), so called to find out where my order was, and whilst on the phone asked them to hold off starting my AppleCare until they'd delivered the machine.

After only a little bit of dispute and being put on hold, she came back and asked that I call AppleCare direct when the machine arrived and they'd reset the start date. So this differs a little from what I've read elsewhere, but it does concern me that they appear to routinely start the cover early; this is for a machine that's still in Apple custody somewhere between goods-in and China!

Either way I have every intention of getting the start date correct, cause there's no way they'll be listening so hard on June 16th 2010.

7. jellz macrumors regular

where do i go on the apple site to see if my apple care is registered?

8. tullys macrumors member

tullys

Don't know I just got an email from do_not_reply@apple.com entitled "Service and Support from Apple Care - DO NOT REPLY TO THIS EMAIL ADDRESS"