Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

anamilton

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2010
Fully agree, Apple Care sucks

Hi everyone

Sorry about my english, in first place.

My experience with Apple SAT, and telephone customer services was directly a surreal and expensive madness. I´m really surprised (in the bad sense of word) and disappointed, I work as graphic designer for 10 years and has to use apple computers a lot of times, never found this kind of problems, lot of my friends has a apple products and when they have trouble the customer attention was absolutely exquisite, but not in my case!

My Imac (Late 2006 24", Intel Core2Duo Nvidia7300 graphic card. I bought it in March 2007) began having problems in August 2008, just after warranty expired (oh, what a coincidence!) vertical color lines across the screen 1px, followed by continuous kernel panic. Apple hardware test show me hard drive problems, I reset PRAM, replaced hard drive and RAM cards by myself and begin use SMC Fan Control to prevent overheating after reading this http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=6513194

It seems to work, but couple months ago (april 2010) same thing occured: vertical lines, kernel panic... and eventually DEATH of the computer, I can´t turn it on, even from the disk, so I decide to pay a technician (Apple authorized). Absolute disaster.

First, they tell me It´s a graphic card problem, cost 300€. A week later, they change their opinion, definitively motherboard problem, cost 600€ and then, in 3rd round, they tell me it´s graphic+motherboard,cost circa 800€!!!!!! Unacceptable price after one month withouth my working tool, bad diagnosis... They don´t offer me a discount, or substitute machine, nothing. I get really angry.

Making little investigation, I found these thread about vertical lines
http://discussions.info.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1580232&start=435&tstart=0
I call Apple and a very polite guy tell me, Apple extend warranty for vertical lines problem, but only in 17" machines!

I think it´s really serious issue, what kind of customer attention policy is that? What about this lot of people with 20" and 24" useless Imacs? It seem to be a fabric issue, at least in 17". People in forums find coincidences between problematic computers and serial numbers start with W86.

Anyone with same problem? Maybe, if we make noise enough Apple recognize their mistakes and find a solution for us. A solution that not include paying 800€, of course.

I live in Spain, the serial number of my Imac is W8642****GN
I´m completely decided to take legal actions across Consumers Institute, OCU etc... If someone is interested too, please contact me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.