Apple Care Upgrade?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by alksion, Dec 5, 2011.

1. alksion macrumors 68000

alksion

I have a late 2010 white macbook unibody.
    - 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, 250GB HDD, Ect..

The ending period of eligibility for Apple Care upgrade ends on December 18th.
    My question isn't simply whether it's worth it or not, because I have had several Apple machines in the past that have failed and I have saved tons of money by having Apple Care.

The question is whether it would be worth it or not to purchase it for resale value. Only reason I came here to ask the community is because I am leaning toward that 15" MBA/MBP that has been rumored to hit the streets in 2012 and thus, will be selling my current MacBook for that.

I bought it used (almost new with everything) for $550 (love living in LA for this reason). If I pay $250 for Apple Care, that will increase my purchase of the laptop to $800. While this would be worth it if I planned on keeping it, it really cuts from any gain I would make back from selling it, even though it may sell quicker with Apple Care.

I know this is a bit long and maybe I over did it (please forgive me), but I just want to hear the community's take on it and what you would do in my case.

THANKS!

2. SDColorado macrumors 65816

SDColorado

I think you pretty much answered your own question here. If you were planning on keeping it, it would arguably be a worthwhile purchase. Since your goal is to sell it, you would unlikely recoup the cost back. Warranties are one of those things that seldom add to the resale value. I am not even sure it would significantly boost how much quicker you would sell it. You would likely get the "Well I wouldn't have purchased Apple Care on it, so the laptop is really only worth $$ to me anyway" kind of responses in negotiating.

3. tmagman macrumors 6502

one of my measures for buying warranties into the product life is if i ask myself if I have been having glitches of any significant type in the first year. I have found that if i have had issues in the first year, then i'll buy the extended warranty (and it'll often pay off right at the end of its life), but otherwise if the machine is running great then i'll take the risk and maybe do some repairs myself if necessary or something)

4. alksion thread starter macrumors 68000

alksion

Interesting, well the bottom hinges on both sides are starting to show pressure cracks that most certainly look like a manufactures defect to me.

With that said though, I can still go into the Apple Store within my 1 year time frame (before December 18) and get this fixed, including a good tune up of some sort.

I think I am definitely leaning toward not buying AC now, that is unless a good friend or family would want to buy it off me soon and would want to have that on there.

5. SDColorado macrumors 65816

SDColorado

That would definitely be worthwhile doing I would think. Take care of any known issues and having them give it a general clean bill of health wouldn't be a bad idea. I think if you look on eBay and so forth, you will find units with AppleCare and without, are selling for around the same prices. It might help yours get chosen over one without, but I still don't know if it would be worth $250 if you don't plan to keep it yourself.

6. alksion thread starter macrumors 68000

alksion

Exactly my thoughts.. but then again, I am basing all of this off the assumption of a computer that doesn't exist right now and might cost somewhere near $1500 price range..

Decisions decisions..

I do thank you for the help though!

Edit: I have a 27" iMac and iPhone, so this isn't my only computer.. I just think a 15" screen with the slim and sleek body of an air would be the absolute perfect mobile computing experience!

7. SDColorado macrumors 65816

SDColorado

I think it would be a nice addition. IF they came out with one that had options for 8GB RAM and a 512 SSD, I would would have to seriously think about trading in my 13" MBA and 17" MBP for one laptop.

If you feel more comfortable with the AppleCare, knowing that you won't recoup the value, but that you may end up with your current model longer than you feel comfortable having no warranty. Buy it for peace of mind, if you can afford to, and don't worry about making back the money.

8. alksion thread starter macrumors 68000

alksion

I do have the money and I know it would be a good investment, but still not sure if it's worth it to buy even if I keep it for 8 more months.

9. minifridge1138 macrumors 6502a

Here's an idea:
    Sell it now.
    Tell the new owner they have until the 18 to extend the warranty.
    Buy a MBA right now.
    If the 2012 comes out and is what you want, sell the 6 month old MBA and use the money to buy the 2012 model.

Pros:
    * you don't have to worry about apple care
    * you get a newer machine right now

Cons:
    * if the price difference what you get for selling the 6 month old MBA and what you pay for the 2012 MBA is more than $250, then you 'lost'. If less, you 'won.'

10. alksion thread starter macrumors 68000

alksion

Clever idea and thank you for the response, but I think I might have come up with something. Apple care is only $189 with the student discount and that seems much more worth it to me.

I might just do that!