Apple Care Versions/Resale

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Gizmo22, Oct 28, 2014.

1. Gizmo22, Oct 28, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2014

Gizmo22 macrumors regular

Gizmo22

A few days ago, I purchased a 17" Macbook Pro with Apple Care for a few more months. Was coming from a trusted member, didn't check the serial out online.

Get home and check it, only to find there's no Apple Care tied to the device, just a 1 year warranty (that expired years ago).

Called Apple and they tell me the Apple Care was never registered, just purchased. They said I could register it to the 17" but it would have already expired (>3 years since original purchase).

Now I seem to have a sealed Apple Care for 15" or 17" laptops, but have no idea what to do with it. Searched around here on the forums, and read there were issues with selling it on eBay or Amazon as someone could activate the serial without opening the package, and then claim it was already used to get a refund from Paypal/Amazon/etc.

Additionally, some threads stated you had to have the original proof of purchase of the Apple Care to activate it.

Can anyone shed some light on these two dilemmas? Am I stuck with a $225 piece of paper that has no value, in addition to a laptop with no warranty?

2. Gizmo22 thread starter macrumors regular

Gizmo22

3. MacInTO macrumors 65816

MacInTO

Why don't you sell it or wait until you get a new MBP before you register it, if it's still valid for current machines.

4. Gizmo22 thread starter macrumors regular

Gizmo22

Bolded my questions in the OP. I don't know how to go about selling it - several threads here on the forums said Apple could deny registration without the original proof of purchase. I bought it back in 2012, and the online receipts only go back 18 months, thus no access to the proof of purchase.

Between that, and the idea that someone could register their Mac without opening the package, I don't know what to do with what amounts to a $350 piece of paper.

5. MacInTO, Nov 2, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2014

MacInTO macrumors 65816

MacInTO

I think the code is inside the box.

I bought Applecare on eBay once and I just asked the person to open the box and email me the code because I didn't want to pay for shipping.

I don't think it would be possible to activate without the code printed inside the box. Otherwise people could walk into a store, copy the code and activate it.

If you sell it on CL it would not be an issue. If you sell it on eBay and it does not work, you would refund them.

ps. It's $244 at BH Photo.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?N=10582543&InitialSearch=yes&sts=pi

You could probably get $200 for it. Not a bad deal for you!

6. mofunk macrumors 68020

mofunk

@OP you can save it or sell it to a friend who is going to buy a Mac.

7. Gizmo22 thread starter macrumors regular

Gizmo22

The code is written on the bottom of the box, fully visible even with sealed cellophane around the packaging.

If I sell it on eBay, a [dishonest] person could (conspiracy ahead) easily call Apple, activate the Apple Care, then tell Paypal that they never received the product. This is what I am trying to avoid.

8. MacInTO macrumors 65816

MacInTO

Sell it as en electronically delivered good on eBay or use craigslist.