Apple Care vs. Best Buy protection plan

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jrohlman88, May 16, 2011.

1. jrohlman88 macrumors newbie

I'm getting my new iMac in the mail tomorrow from Best Buy, I plan on getting some kind of protection plan but I'm not sure which to get. I orded the computer from best buy, so should I fork over $210 for best buys protection plan, or should I spend $180 for the apple care plan? Best Buy doesn't sell the apple care plan, but I could get it easily via the apple online store. Is the apple care even valid on an iMac I bought through Best Buy? All I know is that I get phone support plus an extended warrenty via the apple care plan, where as best buy you only get the warrenty. I really don't know which would be better, which would protect against more issues, could anyone help me out?

2. Resqu2 macrumors 6502a

Apple Care! Do NOT waste your money on the best buy crap, google it! AppleCare will take care of you, never hear anything bad about that coverage.

Edit to add yes they will cover it even though you bought it at BestBuy

3. jrohlman88 thread starter macrumors newbie

Awesome! thanks for the help!

4. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

Apple Care definitely.. don't ever buy any of Best Buy's warranties, their service is horrible and I wouldn't trust them with my mac. Apple Care is much better and they will be able to help you with anything that goes wrong with your mac, which probably won't happen anyways. :)

5. jrohlman88 thread starter macrumors newbie

Just placed the order on apples online store!

6. Morod macrumors 68000

Morod

Congrats on a wise decision! AppleCare all the way in my book, not even close.

7. ThaDoggg macrumors 6502a

ThaDoggg

Exactly. The Best Buy extended warranty will just give you headaches. You will have to fight with them to get them to honour it and repairs take forever.

8. jusacruiser macrumors 6502

jusacruiser

Of course AppleCare wins hands down!! I have called into them many times and have always received the best help.

9. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Very good choice going with AppleCare. A friend of mine had a Macbook under BB warranty. The battery got fried in a power surge and they replaced it with a generic off-white one that only lasted 45 minutes. They don't guarantee in their plan that they use certified manufacturer parts.

10. frjonah macrumors regular

I also applaud your decision to go with Apple Care... I recently had an absolutely horrible experience at Best Buy (buying my new MBP) and do not plan to ever buy anything from them again... not even a roll of lifesaver's in the checkout line... their service (at least at my branch) is horrible and their prices are way too high for 99% of items. Use Newegg for non-Apple and Apple Store for Apple... can't go wrong.

Someone responded to my post about my Best Buy experience telling me that they have long referred to BB as Beast Buy... sounds about right.

11. kapolani macrumors regular

Let me preface this by saying YMMV.

With that being said. I always use the Best Buy plan for big ticket purchases.

This is what happened to me:

I bought a 50" plasma TV from best buy in 2006. It was a floor model, the last they had, so I went ahead and bought it. It was going for approx $2500 at the time.

I bought the protection plan because it clearly stipulates if anything happens, and it can't be repaired, they will give you a similar or current model if still available.

Right before my warranty was about to expire the plasma TV blew up (made a loud pop then shut off) while my wife was watching it. This was almost 4 years later...

Long story short. Someone came to pick it up (they outsource local shops to repair items). They told me that it wasn't worth repairing.

I went to Best Buy and told them what the shop said. At first they were going to give me my current TV and that was it. The Samsung plasma TV was about $1100 at this time. Much cheaper than what I paid for originally.

I was very courteous and kind to the person helping me. I decided to speak to the manager - just for ish and giggles. Built a rapport with the manager and was very friendly. I hinted, subtly, that it didn't sit right with me that I'm getting a cheaper model...

The manager ended up giving me a credit for the full original purchase price! Credit in the amount of $2498.00!

I ended up buying the TV, a LED backlit monitor, a few PS3 games, and a Nikon 90D for the wife.

Best Buy gained a customer for life that day.

I made it a point to praise Best Buy whenever I see someone post BB protection plan is garbage.

12. John T macrumors 68020

John T

People also forget that with AppleCare, one gets, apart from the extended warranty, free telephone support from Apple.

13. kapolani macrumors regular

Not sure why people even need phone support.

You can find anything you need with Google.

Plus, with forums like these you should ever want for anything...