Apple Care + Vs Insurance

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JLEW700, Sep 25, 2016.

?

Whats the best form of iPhone 7 Plus protection?

1. Apple Care +

30 vote(s)
    73.2%
  2. Carrier Specific Insurance (Verizon)

5 vote(s)
    12.2%
  3. Square Trade

2 vote(s)
    4.9%
  4. Other (please comment as to what the other is)

4 vote(s)
    9.8%
  1. JLEW700 macrumors 6502

What do people think the best form of protection for the iPhone 7 plus is? Is it Apple care +, carrier specific insurance, square trade, or something else? Just to clarify, by "best" im talking the most bang for the buck, not what covers the most for the highest price. Also, Im not talking cases, im talking if something does happen to you phone accidentally or it gets stolen or you loose it.

2. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Most bang for the buck is extended warranty protection offered by Amex and the like, as long as you're not concerned about shattering your iPhone (accidental water damage is no longer a concern as it's now water resistant). It costs exactly $0.

3. HPLouis macrumors regular

Well, if you want to add lost or stolen, AppleCare doesn't cover that. If you add AppleCare to carrier specific insurance, then you're paying twice for the same coverage. The carrier specific coverage covers damage, accidents, water, etc. I don't know about SquareTrade or homeowner's insurance, or a credit card insurance, etc.

4. JLEW700 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, forgot to add credit card provider coverage but thats a good point. Dont think it covers as much as the other choices though.

5. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Most credit cards cover damaged/stolen for 90-120 days.

Really, the best insurance is within your control. If it's not in your hand, it's in your pocket and if it's not in your pocket, it's in your hand.

6. Mrbobb macrumors 601

When I had a flip phone, I bought Verizon $3/month insurance and when it developed problems they just gave me another one, easy-peasy, don't know what they do now with more expensive smart phones.

7. Superrjamz54 macrumors 6502

Superrjamz54

They will send it to their repairer who might get it back to you in a week.

8. LRXSE7EN macrumors member

Carrier insurance is a lot better.

Applecare+ doesn't cover theft and loss, it's also limited to 2 years and only allowed 2 claims for that duration

my carrier insurance (tmobile PHP) covers just about everything. the claim gets processed same day and the new phone will get back to you next day. the deductible is $175 but it's worth it because you're getting a brand new phone and you don't even have to turn the current phone in (unless you tell them its broken and you still have it). they don't ask any questions, just tell them when it happened, and confirm the phone model and pay your deductible. also you're allowed to file as many claims as you want (however only 2 per year will get approved, but better than just 2)

9. areyes163 macrumors 6502

areyes163

That's pretty good then. With Verizon carrier insurance you don't get a new phone. It's a refurbished unit.

10. LRXSE7EN macrumors member

Well I should also note that my 2 claims were different, the first claim I told them my phone was broken which it was, they sent me a envelope to send them back the broken phone and they also sent me a fresh brand new phone with the retail packaging and everything.

The second time though, it was lost/stolen, I filed another claim but instead of a brand new retail box with phone brand new, They sent me a white box refurbished unit, so it may vary depending on the claim, I'm not sure if it varies on the incident or if it was just a coincidence.

11. Apple2zcore macrumors member

Apple2zcore

I chose both. Carrier insurance for theft and loss (I'm a teacher and stuff has walked away before) and AppleCare in the event of screen breaking as it's a lot cheaper for the first two incidents than the $200 deductible wth the carrier insurance. Yes it's overkill, but for the year or so I will have the phone I am totally protected.

12. LRXSE7EN macrumors member

I second this. if your screen is cracked then regardless of how bad or how small it is you have to pay a large deductible with carrier insurance, but with applecare+ you're only paying about $30 and some change. I think I'm going to get both when I get my iphone 7.

13. ray737 macrumors 6502

I have always paid for the AppleCare plus. It's a nice insurance policy for me. I have rarely ever used it. I have never had my phone lost or stolen and have never tried carrier insurance.

14. Chargr macrumors regular

Chargr

Wells Fargo 25$ per claim. Beneficial unless you lose/( gets stolen) your phone since they cover up to $650 per line. I used it before for cracked screens and it works great! Accident protection too.
    If you do get it stolen, they will pay up to $650 only.

15. HPLouis macrumors regular

With AT&T's Asurion, they said that they will be coming out with a screen fixing service in the future. For me, I've used all of them. I like the convenience of AppleCare. It even pays for itself because I get my worn cables replaced (my wife and daughter go through them a lot).

But, now that I'm on Next and practically leasing my phones, I just stick with carrier insurance. Before, I used to have both AppleCare and AT&T insurance but since the phones go back, I don't feel I need AppleCare anymore.

16. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I say this in everyone one of these threads. You're probably better off putting some money aside each month in the off chance you need it. I set aside about $15 per device personally.

Apple care is now $129 but screen damage is $29 deductible. First damage you're out $158. That's actually up from last year AND costs more than getting the screen repaired out of pocket. You need to damage your screen twice to "see a return". So ask yourself, have you damaged a screen before? And if you have, have you done it twice in the lifetime of the product?

Of course you are also offered a total damage repair that is cheaper than out of pocket by about half.

Third parties are generally a monthlynfee around $10 but also have a hefty deductible, generally $200. The only way I see that worth it is in total destruction or loss. The big thing here is they cover loss, which Apple care does not.

I ran one device through the wash and I got a discounted $100 replacement. That numbers is now $350 I think (was $200 then but they felt bad since it was a launch day iPhone 4). Even if I counted that as $350, I've saved much more in not buying Apple care on all our family devices than I would have on repairs.

All that said, Apple seems to be moving away from in store repairs and replacements. I haven't looked into whether Apple care gives you a much more expedited replacement/repair than if you were paying out of pocket. If your phone is something you can't live without this may provide added value.

TL;DR: I don't find any insurance worth it. I pay out of pocket if need be and save money (overall and over the years) doing so

17. realeric macrumors 6502a

realeric

Credit card > Saving account > Applecare+ > Carrier Insurance. I have broken screen glass one time for 8 years. Credit card company(ex. Costco card) give two additional year extended warranty for free but don't cover screen damage.

18. Cyberguycpt macrumors 6502a

Cyberguycpt

I thirds this. I like the convenience of being able to walk right into an Apple Store with a cracked screen phone pay my $30 and walk right back out. But I also know that I need to have Carrier protection if it is stolen or lost. Also remember that if you are someone like me and a upgrade your phone yearly you can go back and get a prorated amount refunded of unused AppleCare.

19. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I do the same but keep in mind that CC's extended warranty protection won't work with installment plans like many are doing nowadays.

20. gadgetfreaky macrumors 6502a

I've had my phone stolen
    Not since find my iPhone tho
    Less attractive for thievs

21. realeric macrumors 6502a

realeric

I confirmed with a credit card company (Costco card by Citi). They will cover upto what you have paid for with the credit card. For example, if the phone needs repair after 18 months, they will cover upto $622($32x18 + $46 tax I paid) as long as I have paid the installments($32/m) with their credit card.

Other credit card companies may have different rules though. Amex card doesn't cover until the installment is paid in full.

22. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Good to hear that Citi will cover items still under installment billing, unlike Amex.