Apple care vs Retail stores protection plan

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Aibolit66, Mar 11, 2011.

1. Aibolit66 macrumors newbie

Hi, Soory for another newby question. I am planning to buy Ipad 2 in one of the retail stores (Best Buy, Walmart etc.)
    Should I buy one of the offered store protection plans? or just buy it without the plan and purchase Apple care leter? or both? Thanks.

2. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Apple Care is not a protection plan it's an extended warranty. It does not cover accidental damage. I believe the policies BB, etc. sell are replacement plans that do cover such damage. If you want Apple Care you can buy it anytime during the first year so it's good to hold off on it until you know you will keep your iPad 2 for more than a year -- I guessing you will want to upgrade when the next model comes out. It's the Apple way.

3. nixiemaiden macrumors 6502a

I won't pay for anything extra unless it includes accidental damage. I am a fan of squaretrade. They offer 2 year insurance/warranties or whatever you want to call them for $100 that include accidental damage. The cool thing is if in a year you decide to sell, you can transfer the policy.

4. Aibolit66 thread starter macrumors newbie

5. 53x12 macrumors 68000

53x12

So with accidental damage do they give you back the price you paid for it? The cost of a used iPad? What stops people from gaming that system right before a new release is out?

I think Squaretrade also has a buy back option.

6. Scarpad macrumors 68000

Scarpad

Good info on the transfer of the warrantee, I know I bought the warrantee on the one I'm selling from Applecare and I just have to eat the rest of it