Apple Care vs. Standard Warranty

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by RohanFromAus, Oct 31, 2014.

1. RohanFromAus macrumors newbie

Hi, I got an iPhone 6 just under a month ago. I've been wondering as to whether I should get Apple Care+ or not? I'm quite certain that nothing will happen to it, but moving around a lot I've been considering its worth. What different insurance plans do Apple have and how to they compare to the standard warranty- in terms of pricing of phone damage- screen cracks, etc.

2. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

Go with insurance that covers lost or stolen. The only way to go

3. bakron1 macrumors member

Apple Care vs. Standard Warranty

Apple Care+ is 99.00 and if you damage you device, it will cost you 79.00 to replace it with a new one.

You only get two instances, but compared with the high deductibles that you get using these insurance plans provided by the carriers, I think it's a bargain.

----------

You better read the fine print, some of those insurance deductibles are 150-170 dollars versus 79 through Apple Care plus. As far as the lost or stolen issue, I can't help you there.

4. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 603

The-Real-Deal82

My phone is covered for accidental damage and loss through my home contents insurance. Applecare expects a fee and then a fee again if you damage or lose your device. It strikes me as a bit of a rip off when I added phone cover to my insurance for an extra 20 quid.

5. Zxxv macrumors 68040

have you ever tried claiming of your house insurance for that? I hear its a right headache.

I buy applecare + for the next owner of my iPhone. If I don't sell early its just something to have.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I opted for applecare plus since it covers standard manufacturing defects and accidental damage. The only thing it won't cover is theft (or loss)

7. Zxxv macrumors 68040

Manufacturing defects are covered for upto 6 years in the uk. It becomes a bit iffy if say the screen popped out and you have drop damage. So agree with your choice of buying for accidental damage. Its a sort of belt and braces.

8. RohanFromAus thread starter macrumors newbie

What is the cost for a screen replacement without Apple Care vs with Apple care?

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't live in the UK, so that option is not available for me :)

10. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Yeah, they may be true but after a while the onus shifts to the consumer to prove the issue was there at the time of manufacturing which isn't necessarily easy to do. The big advantage of AppleCare+ for me is the convenience - if I drop my phone and smash it I just need to go to the nearest Apple store and they'll fix it or swap it there and then - no waiting for repairs, no increase in home insurance premiums for making a claim and no hassle.

A few years ago I was stupid enough to sign up to Carphone Warehouse's insurance for an HTC Desire I had. I dropped and damaged it and when I took it in to get it repaired I was told it would be sent away, take up to 3 weeks to be returned and they didn't provide a loan phone. The difference between that and the service AppleCare+ gives you is night and day!

11. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Much depends on the owner as I have never had Applecare for any of my Apple devices and never have needed it. Call me lucky buit I have saved enough money on NOT buying insurance that if I had to replace a device, I would STILL be ahead.

But, if you are the owner that drops his phone alot or has other accidents, the insurance Apple care might be worth it. If replacing your phone would be a huge financial blow, maybe the $100 for Apple care is the right thing to do.:apple:

12. Zxxv macrumors 68040

yea thats the sort of thing I hinted at earlier with the home insurance. They are a nightmare to deal with. Ive only claimed on my home insurance once and they made me feel like a thief!
    Apple we pay more but we get five star service and that is worth paying for.

:) I re read what I wrote. I see I started off as I intended making the distinction between you being in the US and me in the UK but totally fudged my English up at the end by tying it all together. :D haha

----------

I ummed and agh'd about buying it this time but its more for the buyer if I sell early for the 6s as if anything goes wrong they can just walk in and painlessly get a replacement.

13. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 603

The-Real-Deal82

I have never had to claim for an iPhone but have once for something else in the past. They usually send somebody out to inspect the damage and write a report. Its obviously a bit more of a headache than wandering into an Apple store, but its a lot cheaper. If you can justify Apple Care though, that is also a good option. :)

14. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Attached Files:

15. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Unless you're extremely forgetful or live in a major metropolitan area where iPhone theft is rampant, it's nothing more than a huge waste of money.

I dunno, maybe there are people that have money to burn, so watching/remembering their $1,000 phone isn't a big priority to them, but the cost of those monthly insurance plans that cover loss/theft is astronomical.

16. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Another thing, putting your iPhone on your homeowners policy is not wise where I am located as we are in hurricane alley and you can have your homeowners policy cancelled for anything in Florida if you are near the ocean. I insure my camera gear and watches on what they call an Inland Marine Policy which is seperate from your home owners policy.

My neighbors wife lost her $6k wedding ring and their homeowners paid for it but then cancelled them at the end of their term. No they can't find anyone to write their homeowners insurance due to the fact they had their policy cancelled.

17. Zxxv macrumors 68040

18. Bhs1975 macrumors 6502

6.99 per month is'nt much

19. Zxxv macrumors 68040

roughly $/£/€ 750 over 5 years

20. willmtaylor, Oct 31, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2014

willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

You're right, it isn't, but for total equipment coverage, that's not the cost.

Per Verizon's website (not sure about ATT & rest, but I would assume it's similar):

iPhone® and Other Devices
    • $9.99/month per covered device
    • $99 non-refundable deductible (iPhone 4 8GB)
    • $169 non-refundable deductible (iPhone 4 16GB, iPhone 4S 16GB, iPhone 5 8GB and iPhone 5 16GB) per approved claim for devices lost, stolen, or damaged
    • $199 non-refundable deductible (iPhone 4 32GB, iPhone 4S 32GB, iPhone 4S 64GB, iPhone 5 32GB and iPhone 5 64GB) per approved claim for devices lost, stolen, or damaged
    • Two replacements in a 12-month period with an equipment maximum of $1500 per claim

Ok, I found AT&T's as well:

• $6.99 per enrolled number.
    • Device Tier 3 Standard Deductible - $199 / After 6 months w/out incident - $149 / After 12 months - $99
    • Two claims within any consecutive 12 months with a maximum device value of $1500 per occurrence.
    ----------

What do you mean by "goes"?

Apple's warranty covers manufacturer defect up to a year, so if your battery or screen are faulty, you'd be out nothing.

If you drop your screen, you're out $130.

21. Zxxv macrumors 68040

breaks, goes caput, stops working, fails :)

applecare + is for 2years. Im speaking of that 2nd year. Battery goes, drops and breaks screen your out over $200

22. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

I feel like I've done enough of the legwork for ya at this point. Do the AC+ research or speak w/a rep online and then post back for everyone w/the comparative numbers.

23. Zxxv macrumors 68040

what? :confused:

24. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

If you purchased your iPhone using an Amex card or equivalent with extended warranty coverage, you're covered for manufacturer defects in the 2nd year and it's free too.