Apple care warranty for Leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Scottyfrombi, Sep 23, 2007.

1. Scottyfrombi macrumors member

Does Apple allow for Applecare support on a new OS such as Leopard when it is released and if so can one upgrade like when you buy hardware for three years for just the operating system software. I just purchased a MBP last week which is scheduled to be delivered next week. It will come with Tiger OS 10.4 installed. If I upgrade to Leopard in a month or two, will the Applecare extended warranty I purchased be applied to the new operating system on the MBP purchased before Leopard was announced.

I know from experience that if I call Apple under warranty with a OS software problem in software they installed, they were very helpful in helping me correct the problem. but this is the first time I will have switched to a new OS after the hardware purchase.

Theoretically, Leopard is still a variant of OS X which is an Apple product, but since it is not an update but an upgrade is is still covered under the MBP extended warranty for the next three years from date of MBP purchase?

2. ll PiStoNs ll macrumors regular

They wouldnt let you trade in your mbp in a few months when they come out
    or let someone with a 5th gen ipod trade uo for a 6th gen so i dont see why they would let you get a free os if thats what your asking for.

in all the above cases they are an upgrade, not an update, so i would probably think not.

3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Applecare is tied to the hardware, not the software. Apple will support whichever Apple operating system is approved for use on the machine covered by Applecare.

4. Scottyfrombi thread starter macrumors member

I'm not asking for a free OS. I believe the new OS when purchased on a disk without any hardware will come with 90 days of phone support if you have problems. However if you buy a new computer with an operating system installed, phone assistance will not just be for the hardware but also the operating system and any factory installed software such as iLife for the 3 year extended Apple warranty life if purchased with the hardware. When I purchased by Powerbook over 4 years ago, if I had a OS related software problem, I gave them my warranty number tied to my powerbook and they were very generous and helpful. When the warranty ended, they absolutely refused to speak to me, which is fine. But had I not purchased the powerbook and extended 3 year warranty, I doubt they would have helped me after the initial 90 day period.

5. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

they will help you with whatever Apple OS is on the computer as long as the computer is covered.

6. Scottyfrombi thread starter macrumors member

thanks that re-assuring to know. Appreciate your taking time to comment.