Apple Care - when to register?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Maccleduff, Jun 26, 2007.

1. Maccleduff macrumors regular

I bought applecare with my new macbook pro, but I have the yellow tint problem on the screen so I am going to try to get it exchanged this weeked at the apple store.

The question is should I register my new mac on Applecare now, or should i wait till i get the new exchanged mac. If i do register now and get it exchanged later, will they change the serial number on my applecare to show the exchanged mac?

Im a bit confused as to what happens if i register now and later get it exchanged.:confused:

Thanks for any help

2. thefoo macrumors member

Firstly, try the colour profiles that have been posted. I don't know if they may "fix" the gradients problem for you or not. But it may save you a trip + hastle.

Now, I were you I would register AppleCare against a known good machine. The service is after all intended for post-warrantee matters and a brand new machine is going to be well within warrantee.

I shall be buying AppleCare once my finances have recovered from buying the MBP :)

3. heySparky macrumors regular

heySparky

Since you have up to 1 year to register your Mac with Apple Care, I'd wait until you have the new MBP.

4. MBPmad macrumors newbie

One year ago I had my wife's MacBook exchanged because of both a funky keyboard and optical drive. (14 days rule)

A week ago I called Apple to buy Applecare. The guy on the line told me that I was on the last day I could register my machine. I was "luckily" on time, so he offered me to buy it and register right there.

Since I had got a replacement 2 weeks later from the original date of purchase, I asked why was it the last day; he told me then that it is the original purchase date that counts. The serial numbers are linked.

In other words, doesn't matter what you do. Just buy it / register anytime before 364 days have passed since the date of purchase.

I would register Applecare just before one year is gone, in case I wanted to trade the machine for a newer one.

I remember hearing/ reading somewhere that your warranty is counted base on the number of days you are in possession of your machine, that is the number of days the machine is on Apple hands would be extra ones. But I guess I heard wrong or it doesn't apply to Applecare.

-MBPmad

5. dcv macrumors G3

Do not register it straight away!

I might be wrong but I don't think you can transfer it to a new machine if the first or subsequent ones have problems.

I purchased AppleCare with my MBP but I'm now on my third MBP as the first two had kernel panics/yellow display issues/dead pixels etc. This one has a dodgy battery so I still haven't registered the AppleCare and don't intend to until I'm 100% happy with it! You can buy/register the extended Care at any point within the first year.

6. powermac_daddy macrumors 6502

powermac_daddy

sorry what colour profiles? it would fix the gradients? would you mind to post the link? thanks.

7. sturigdson macrumors regular

MPBmad is right- it doesn't matter when you register the applecare, so long as you do it before your first year has elapsed.

It also doesn't matter if you register it before or after you get a replacement computer, unless you were to turn the computer in for a refund and buy a new, different model at retail cost. Then, you would register APP to the new computer.

The thing that I'd say is this: you might be in a more advantageous condition registering BEFORE you try to get your MBP replaced. Everything goes into their system, and they'd see that you've got apple care lined up, etc. And if you have multiple problems, it'll all be reflected on your record and you'll have better odds of getting good service later in the computer's life.