Apple Care with Macbook Pro and 24" ACD?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nutsnbolts, Oct 18, 2009.

1. nutsnbolts macrumors 6502

Out of curiosity, any reason not to purchase the Apple Care? I know that many people purchase this as an add-on because they want security with their device. I have always been a PC person and have built my super computer and of course, know enough to correct, repair my computer. I'm not saying that I won't know how to repair my MacBook but it seems like Apple Care does a lot more which justifies the cost and purchase.

The question is, what is that "extra" benefit or... is the hype still just from people who don't know anything about computing and....? or other reasons.

Help me if I'm missing anything here...

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

If you are keeping your notebook for longer then two years and it's going to travel, I highly recommend it.

3. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

I'd get it. Two expensive devices. Laptops are becoming more difficult to self-diagnose and repair. There are a great deal of stories about full replacement machines when you have a problem.

Applecare has made my life easier.

4. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

I can't tell if you're serious or not. "Extra" benefit? You many know how to make repairs but you'll still have to find an $800 logic board or a $300 display. I can't think of too many things where Applecare won't pay for itself with just a single mishap.

Macbooks do indeed fail and it certainly isn't hype. Just read the boards.

5. nutsnbolts thread starter macrumors 6502

I guess your response answer my question. :) This makes sense...it's not about knowing how to fix it anymore, it's about also getting the parts for free and having them replace it.

6. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

And add the fact that your ACD monitor is also covered so for AppleCare, you get coverage for $3000+ worth of hardware. It's even more of a no-brainer! :D

7. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I haven't had any huge failures recently. But, even the replacing of batteries and MagSafe adaptors quickly paid for itself.

8. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

It's also nice to know you can use whatever you buy, "worry-free" for a year then extend the exact same warranty for another 2 years - all on day #364 no less. :)

9. nutsnbolts thread starter macrumors 6502

Hahaha, thanks all. I figured the answer would be PRO Apple Care. I was going to get it nevertheless despite my geekiness in building my own machines.

Anyway, if no one knew this, you can get as many devices as possible on one day under one Apple Care.

In other words, don't buy a MBP and then a ACD on a different day because you'll pay again for the Apple Care to cover that device.

Instead, purchase both at the same time and it's all covered under 1 apple care.Of course, that means mucha $$$ in one shot but you technically save like ~100 or so.