Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Appletise

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
l am hours away from buying a new macbook pro 14, 1 or 2 GB HD (considered 32G RAM but really don't think require, as most demanding use of mac is for online trading, open 2 or 3 trading software platforms that my mbpr 2012 (256GB 8G) can just handle, though at its limits) could easily fill up the HD with media like photos videos, etc. l am considering apple care as read that it replaces batteries if it runs under 80% capacity. did l interpret that right?
btw had my mbpr 2012 and not one accident, worked fine, jsut required battery to be changed 3 x.

rovostrov

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2020
l am hours away from buying a new macbook pro 14, 1 or 2 GB HD (considered 32G RAM but really don't think require, as most demanding use of mac is for online trading, open 2 or 3 trading software platforms that my mbpr 2012 (256GB 8G) can just handle, though at its limits) could easily fill up the HD with media like photos videos, etc. l am considering apple care as read that it replaces batteries if it runs under 80% capacity. did l interpret that right?
btw had my mbpr 2012 and not one accident, worked fine, jsut required battery to be changed 3 x.
I was in a similar situation moving from a 2012 macbook pro. I loved that machine, never had any trouble with it at all! I bought a used 2019 last November that (thankfully) still had applecare. I have now sent this machine back to Apple 3 times due to failure. This time when they return it, I will sell it and "upgrade" it to a 2015 and be done with it. A maxed out 2015 is going for about $200 at the moment. The problem I find with newer models is that everything is soldered and glued together so if 1 thing fails, the entire top case usually has to be replaced. SDD are not swappable either, so you will lose all your data since Apple will erase the drive before returning it to you, even if the display fails! Personally, I would never buy a new mac without applecare. They are too expensive to fix if you have any trouble. The 14's look great and you will get 12 months of applecare with the new purchase, which you can always extend before it expires.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

herbert7265

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2023
Mexico
It’s the same with any other insurance you buy or contract: In case you need it you will be glad to have it, in case you do not need it you may think you have spent the money for nothing. If you will need it at one point in time… nobody can tell you.

Personally I get Apple Care(+) for all my new devices, as they normally mean quite some invest and money spent!

Herbert

dmccloud

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
The 14's look great and you will get 12 months of applecare with the new purchase, which you can always extend before it expires.

This is incorrect. You get a 12 month manufacturer's warranty with purchase (which would cover defects only, not the accidental damage that Apple Care covers). For the MacBooks, you have an option of paying for three years of Apple Care upfront or on an annual basis.

The other difference is that the standard warranty includes 90 days of free 24/7 technical support via telephone or the Apple Support site, while Apple Care extends that to the duration of the Apple Care agreement.

Otflyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2017
SF Bay Area
I don't usually buy AppleCare but, I bought it for my new MacBook Pro m2. Glad I did as I've almost dropped it a few times. I bought the annual subscription. That $99 works out to $8.33 per month.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Yes.

Very much so, is my answer to the question: "Is Apple Care worth it"?

And I agree with what the others who have posted in this thread have written.

Whenever I have bought a new Apple computer, I always bought AppleCare, and have been very glad that I did so.

Reactions: herbert7265

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
think for devices like Macs where you will keep a lot longer it's likely worth it I would say.

Alpha Centauri

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2020
Only worth it if something goes wrong ;)

Back in 2009 I bought Apple Care for a MBP and due to a case damage in a corner, and internal fluid markers, they knocked back a logic board replacement. Mind you, this was in a country that was/ is notorious for being quite non-customer friendly. I ended up having it repaired at a shop that does component level repairs and took on a 3rd party insurance with them. Off course for quite a few years they had to source used parts due to components just not being made.

I replaced (finally) this MBP start of the year with a M2 and bought AC+. Mainly as all is now soldered and the displays seem quite fragile compared to the old models. You've got 60 days to decide to add AC after the purchase and (for me), the high cost of the M2 does now give me some piece of mind. Realistically, if no accidental damage occurs, you're paying for nothing for the first 12 months as the one year warranty would first apply.

To also add that in some countries the factory warranty is much longer than 1 year. In Australia for example it is 3 years, so then one would have to factor this in also.

Reactions: Wheel_D and xraydoc

powerslave65

macrumors 6502
Mar 21, 2011
Sherman Oaks CA
I have never purchased Apple Care and haven’t had a failure since 2001. New manufacturing QC is just too good to let junk slip by and if it did let something inferior slip though it would be handled under the one year warranty. As far as dropping is concerned I am sure some feel they need it so glad they can get it for that.

Reactions: Samorap

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
I seldom get AppleCare; the only times I have bought AppleCare I have regretted it (waste of money).
I have saved over $2000 by not getting AppleCare, over the years.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Figure even one flat-rate mail-in repair is just slightly less than twice the cost of AppleCare+. So, if you need ANY repair that isn't a battery replacement, you're looking at nearly twice the cost of AppleCare+ for your repair (considering that most repairs entail replacing either the top case [also more than the cost of AppleCare+], your screen [way more than the cost of AppleCare+], or your logic board [also more than the cost of AppleCare+]).

If you think your Mac won't need ANY repairs for however long you keep it, then one can make the argument that it's not necessary. Personally, I'd do it. Even if you don't need it, the peace of mind is almost worth it on its own.

Reactions: dizmonk

NeonNights

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2022
I usually don't buy extra warranty for any Apple devices and skipped it on my 2015 MBP 13, as well as the M1 MBA. But for my new M1 Max MBP 16 I went ahead and added 3 years of AC+.

The previous laptops were relatively inexpensive and would give me an excuse to upgrade if something happened. The MBP 16 was considerably more expensive at $3K, but since BH Photo credit card reimburses the sales tax I put the savings towards AC+ and peace of mind in case I drop the big Mac. Called AppleCare and they couldn't give me the 20% student promo going on right now but still lowered the cost from $399 to $349.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
The true answer to “is AppleCare+ worth the price” can’t be answered until/unless you need the coverage. If you do, it’s a bargain. If you don’t, it’s a waste of money.

All you can say up front, is if the PROSPECT of a high repair bill is offset by the knowledge that your AppleCare+ will cover it. In other words, “peace of mind.” This is a very personal question, what I think or anyone else thinks doesn’t enter into it.

Alpha Centauri

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2020
The true answer to “is AppleCare+ worth the price” can’t be answered until/unless you need the coverage. If you do, it’s a bargain. If you don’t, it’s a waste of money.

All you can say up front, is if the PROSPECT of a high repair bill is offset by the knowledge that your AppleCare+ will cover it. In other words, “peace of mind.” This is a very personal question, what I think or anyone else thinks doesn’t enter into it.
Best answer so far!! Any insurance is a pure waste of money…until you need it.

A1423

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2023

If you buy it and it gives you piece of mind that you’re somewhat cost contained. Whether you later utilize the coverage or not. Wouldn’t that be “worth it” before one actually utilizes it?

LV426

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2013
I get mobile phone damage/loss cover bundled with my bank account, so Apple Care would be a pointless waste of money for my phone. And I'm sufficiently tech savvy that I don't need the kind of technical support that they can offer.

Now that Apple are producing laptops with robust keyboards and displays*, I didn't feel the need to get Apple care when I got my M1 MacBook Pro 18 months ago. Saved me quite a packet.

*As opposed to the slew of laptops they made circa 2016 onwards. Horrible, fault-prone keyboards and displays with fragile ribbon cables.

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
Never and I don’t plan to. Have several Apple devices, take good care of them and they will take good care of you.

Samorap

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2019
I never purchase Apple Care. I own 3 MacBook Pros (mid-2012, mid-2015, and 2019) and one MacBook Air. If there's a problem I fix it myself (and I'm a girl). I've changed 4 batteries, one trackpad and a monitor. The monitor was by far the most challenging because of the sheer number of internal screws to remove. I bought a magnetic mat from iFixit.com to help me keep up with the screws. It's a game changer.

Screen Shot 2023-08-05 at 12.33.51 PM.png

dizmonk

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2010
I thought I arrived at a point of compromise about whether or not to buy it. Iphone - no (always use protective cases), Mac Studio - no (it's not going anywhere - just sitting on my desk) Macbook Pro/Air - Yes as it's always going to car/campus/backpack/coffee shops). I used it twice, once on an old Imac and the second on a 2015 MBP. I'm still tempted to buy it, especially on these M1/M2 laptops even though Apple's raising the price of it.

Lucas Curious

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2020
if you take it out of the house like travel than yes. if not then probably no. I had a MacBook and one pixel died. Apple replaced the whole screen.

If you use the heck out of the MacBook on battery then you may get under 80% battery in 3 years and able will replace the battery. So id say if you use this specific device every day and on the go, definitely get apple care. If it's sitting on desk most of the time, maybe save the money.

I was on tour going from city to city for 6 months tossing the MacBook Pro under car seat or in bags and eventually one fan made noise. Gave it to apple right when apple care was expiring and they replaced teh battery, a speaker and the fan. I then gave this MacBook away to a family member and she still uses it. its the 2012 MBP retina. So in this case it was worth the AppleCare.

I put apple care on the new Studio Display but thats because I know I'll be shipping it to another city so in case anything happens during shipping and moving, im protected. I broke an expensive monitor before during movement.

I also has a MacBook that I traveled with for work and used daily on battery because it was that 12". I put 770 cycles on it and battery was at 76% right before AC ending. Apple replaced the battery so technically the AC cost was similar as battery replacement cost. SO yea if you use the heck out of the device than get AC+

Reactions: Marty_Macfly

doolar

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2019
I'm not too keen on these kinds of insurance, but I have exceptions. One being my iPhone (I use it caseless), the other my Apple Watch and the third, my Macbook Pro 14". I do not have AC+ on my iPad, it is just impossible for me to break unless I drop it hard, which I don't.

Three years coverage too on the computers, which is great (I live in Sweden and for whatever reason you can't extend the AC+ on any device). I use my MBP a lot, and travel with it, so I like the peace of mind. It is a cost, I know I'm probably not going to need it - but again, it is a good feeling to know I have the insurance. It is basically a comfort pillow for me, since I very rarely break my belongings.

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
I always get AC+ on my iPhone's and also on my Apple Watch Ultra, but never have done on any of my Mac's. I have now, however, just bought a new M3 Pro 16" MacBook Pro and am now considering it. It will, however, spend 90% of the time at home on my office desk, and so wonder if it's worth it or not? I always think it's with devices that are mobile that are at more risk of damage?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.