Apple Care. Worth it?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Eldiablojoe, Dec 28, 2009.

1. Eldiablojoe macrumors 6502a

Eldiablojoe

It's an extra $250!! But is it worth it? Do any of you have it? Do you regret getting it or are you glad you did? Any of you not have it and wish you did?

Thanks!

EDJ

2. cmaier macrumors G3

It depends on your tolerance for risk. There are many threads discussing it. If you get it, and something bad happens after a year, you'll be glad you got it.

If you don't get, and something bad happens after a year, you'll wish you got it.

If you get it, and nothing bad happens after a year, you'll forget you got it.

If you don't get it, and nothing bad happens after a year, you won the bet.

3. erratikmind macrumors 6502a

erratikmind

I have always purchased the Apple Care protection plan for all of my Apple products. I think that it was for more for peace of mind than anything else. Having said that, I have only exercised the plan once. Apple replaced the keyboard on my 17" PB G4 some 6 years ago.

4. Disc Golfer macrumors 6502a

I feel like applecare is a safe bet for portables if you plan on keeping the computer for more than a year.. If you're going to CL it when the next thing comes out in november or whatever there's not as much benefit. The applecare for my g4 powerbook paid for repairs at 2 years that would have cost $600ish if I didn't have it. I'm definitely getting applecare for the new mbp. I've read you can get the applecare for less on ebay.

5. MikeACmdLV macrumors newbie

I have purchased AppleCare for various Apple Computers and Devices over the last 15+ years, but have only had to use it 2-3 times for relatively minor issues (In contrast, my 1st Dell laptop has had 2 motherboard changes in the last year under CompleteCare, which would have cost in total almost as much as the computer!!
    I was nonetheless impressed with the Dell On-Site prompt handling of this problem)

Unlike the Dell CompleteCare though, AppleCare is not "On-Site" (You at least need to bring it in to an Apple Store) and most importantly, does NOT include Accidental Damage/Handling, which I think would be more useful peace-of-mind and a better return on one's investment in an Extended Warranty. My wife had an iPhone 3GS 32GB with only a few months use which would no longer sync with our Mac- when we took it in, we were told it had "water damage" and would not be covered (my first introduction to the dreaded red spot indicator) even though she had it in a OtterBox Defender Protective Case (hot-pink!) from day-of-purchase and did not subject it to overt water exposure!! (Nonetheless, if AppleCare included Accidental Damage, her relatively new iPhone 3GS would presumably have been covered)

Overall, I would still purchase AppleCare but just wanted to point out to you that Accidental Damage is not covered and that was used against us on one occasion as an excuse to not replace our defective iPhone. (I can afford to buy another one and do not need to lie about water exposure- I truly think the "red indicator" has a hair-trigger and was a "false positive" in our case!!)

6. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

Buy it. It's well worth it. The thing is, you may not need it. But when you do, it will more than pay for itself.

7. Jpoon macrumors 6502

It's been worth it the past couple of times I've had issues.

In general Apple is more willing to work with you when you're having problems with a product when you have Apple Care. Is that right? Probably not. But I got it at a cheaper price off of E-Bay, so it paid out in the end.

8. phoobo macrumors regular

absurd

to pay 20-25% of the price of a computer (in the case of an Apple laptop) for an extended warranty. This is where the big electronics chain stores have been making huge bundles for decades, because it's a much better deal for the seller than for the buyer -- and they generally charge a much lower percentage than Apple. (When people speak of the "Apple tax," they should really be talking about the price of Apple Care -- way out of line with industry standards -- more than the price of the machines, which I don't think is all that unreasonable.)

It's a sucker's bet -- like playing the money wheel at Vegas.

Imagine if you bought a $40,000 car, and were offered the same kind of service deal -- for $10,000. Would you take it?

Also, factor this in: after a year, an Apple computer is worth 60-80% of its purchase value, depending on condition. What does this mean? It means Apple Care represents an even *higher* percentage of the value of the machine -- easily as high as 30-50%!

But hey, if it makes you feel better...

Remember: all Apple computers are covered for a year anyway. Statistically, the machines that make it through that first year problem-free are less likely to contain defective parts. Other damage may be caused by physical wear -- much of which AC will not cover.

9. SuperSnake2012 macrumors 6502a

After owning my Rev A White Macbook I would answer strongly YES. I had at least double the value of repairs done to it, and Apple eventually replaced my computer with a late 08 shiny uMB. Totally worth it.

10. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

If it's a notebook and you plan on keeping it past 24 months, absolutely IMO.

11. 26.2 macrumors member

12. SaleenS351 macrumors 6502

I've never purchased applecare for any of the apple products I have purchased. I have not had a problem with either the laptops or desktops I've owned since '03. I did, however, have an issue with my first gen iphone after the one year warranty had expired. There was a problem with its screen. I use my american express to purchase all major items and I was able to get AMEX to replace my iphone, they gave me the money to buy a 16GB 3G. American express doubles the manufacturers warranty. I've had to use my amex warranty protection on other items and I've never had a problem or been denied. Just another perspective for you to consider......

13. Csmitte macrumors 6502

Csmitte

You have to remember your dealing with electronics, and that these electronics are man-made/designed. Its worth it, IMHO and even if you dont use it, and you decide to sell your machine its a little more enticing for the buyer.

14. alent1234 macrumors 603

i've had an ipod replaced one time

today i replaced a tape drive in our HP tape library. we bought a 3 year support contract on that baby for $2500. the tape drive i replaced costs $10,000 if we had to buy it ourselves

i think the way the bell curve works out is if new electronics fail it's in the first year. years 2-3 are very low failure rates and it goes up slightly after the third year

15. MikeyJ57 macrumors member

I would go for it. Here's why:

We purchased macbook pros for each of our daughters for college (two years apart) and got the Apple Care Protection with each one. The oldest daughter's MBP had so many problems in the first 2.5 years!! The ACP took care of everything. Finally, her computer got so bad that she (and I) got really frustrated. After pleading with Apple, they gave her a brand new MBP - upgraded and all! I don't think that would have happened without the ACP. Since she got the upgrade, she hasn't had a single problem (we got the ACP again with the new MBP). The youngest daughter hasn't had a single problem with hers after two years so far. I am in the market for a MBP - after years of frustrating PC ownership. I'm going to wait a month or so to see if the MBP gets refreshed, but when I do get it, I won't think twice about getting the ACP. Peace of mind, maybe. I may never need it or I may need it alot like my oldest daughter did. But I'm not going to take the chance.

BTW - I've had a Dell laptop for about 5 years now and have not had a single problem with it except for a screen problem that was fixed at no cost and very quickly. My frustration is more with Windows. Constant freezing up and all sorts of other problems I'm just not willing to put up with anymore. I started out with an Apple II years ago, then moved to Windows. It's taken me a long time, but I'm going back to Apple!!!!!

16. kate-willbury macrumors 6502a

kinda of a lose - lose situation.

if you get apple care and your machine never acts up, you wasted money.

if you get apple care and have to use it tons of times, you 'save' money but lose faith in apple products.

17. hazonmeister macrumors newbie

Apple Care is a MUST!!!

I purchased a MBP a couple of years ago. I had pretty much decided not to get Apple Care as I refuse to pay for things like that. However, about 2 weeks before the included year ran out, my screen failed. I contacted Apple and a couple of hours later my computer was at the store for repair. I picked it up after a few days and everything was great for about 4 days. Then, the same thing happened again. I returned to the store and left it for another repair. Just as I got home the Apple Store called and said they couldn't fix it. So, they asked me to come back in and pick up a new one. They transferred all my data to the new system and I suddenly had a new (slightly better) computer. I immediately purchased Apple Care (just in time) and had the logic board go this week. I just picked up the computer this afternoon. I haven't paid a penny for any of these repairs! You will regret it if you don't get Apple Care!

18. pyroza macrumors regular

Yes, assuming it's a laptop, especially if you're a frequent traveler or student.

19. Diseal3 macrumors 65816

Well applecare dosent protect against user abuse. Only technical issues. Seeing its a computer and things can go wrong I say buy it, cause apple's Out of warr. parts + service is hell expensive.

20. RyanTheGeneral macrumors regular

I did (with mbp and iPhone 3gs, didn't when I had 3g) from the time I was considering switching till now I have heard and see that apple products are reliable enough but can never be to safe.

But like someone else said. If you feel you don't want to put the money into it then go without it and see what happens good luck I hope nothing happens never wish bad upon an apple product

21. iMav macrumors 6502

iMav

I, too, use my AmEx for electronic purposes. I rarely keep my Macs longer than two years. For those that want to keep their Macs long term, buy your AppleCare with your Mac with an AmEx. AC is considered a manufacturers warranty, so AmEx will double up to 5 years.

22. nullx86 macrumors 6502a

nullx86

YMMV. I havent gotten mine yet, but I will, just to cover my ass. I have bad luck with computers, as far as them just randomly going up in smoke :p

if youre like that, applecare is a must, if not, its up to you. if you need it, then get it :p

23. migsev macrumors regular

Definitely. It ends up paying for itself in the long run, plus it gives your computer a higher resale value.

24. sheareb macrumors member

In the UK, the Sale of Goods Act makes provision for manufacturing defects and issues to be covered up to 5 years under the phrase "durability depending on the price and nature of the product.

For example, a £300 notebook may not be expected to last 3 years but a £1600 imac could arguably be expected to last up to 5 given the price and the branding for which you have paid to have quality.

Often companies will fob you off but these are your Consumer Rights regardless of the length of warranty or any additional "insurance" product bought

Applecare should make the whole process of getting repairs easier but if you find yourself without it and outside warranty but shocked that the product hasnt lasted then you can contact Consumer Direct who will assist in dealing with the *supplier*. This can then progress to local Trading Standards.

Note that in all cases your contract and dispute is with the SUPPLIEr and not, in this case, Apple unless you bought directly from them.

This is very strong legislation, make sure you are aware of it and make an informed decision on Applecare

25. jerry333 macrumors member

jerry333

Fwiw

The $250 I paid for Apple Care on the home Mac Pro covered $1600 when the NVIDIA card needed replacement.

On the other Mac Pro I use it covered a system board that needed replacement (I don't know what a system board actually sells for).

On a previous G5 it covered $300 on a replacement power supply (okay, that was more or less break-even).

So I think I'll continue to purchase AppleCare.