Apple Care--worth the extra $$?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MacHead34, Mar 7, 2009.

1. MacHead34 macrumors newbie

I'm planning to buy one of the new iMac models. Is it worth spending the extra $$ for Apple Care?

Thanks,

Karl

2. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

You have 1 year from the date of purchase to buy AppleCare. Yes, it's worth it, but don't buy it immediately.

3. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

Most definitely.

You can find AppleCare cheaper on eBay (it is legit) FYI.

4. bigdaddyp macrumors regular

Yes and here is why.

The price of a failed hard drive and the labor to install it is equal to the price of applecare. Apple is currently charging around 700 dollars for a new logic board aka mother board and with labor it might be cheaper for a new machine and the price of a new screen is enough to make a grown man cry. One thing I need to point out is that it does not cover accidental damage or abuse.

5. mgridgaway macrumors 6502

mgridgaway

For future information, please use the search buttom to find similar topics. This has been asked hundreds of times, with varying answers.

6. spacemanps macrumors regular

spacemanps

YES WITH OUT A DOUBT!!!! the cost of a new logic board (IF anything were to happy to it) is 800!!!! imagine in a year, if you didnt get apple care, and your logic board fails, have fun paying 800....

Like the person above me said, the price of replacing a harddrive is the cost of apple care.

Imac applecare is the cheapest of them all

7. iTzChasE macrumors 6502

iTzChasE

Yes, Apple care can really save your butt. I would suggest buying it online, ebay and sites like amazon. It will be a lot cheaper. Also, you have a year from the purchase date to decide on it.

8. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

As a dollars and cents proposition, of course not. Some people just feel better being insured to the hilt.

BTW, this question gets asked approximately every other day. A little research goes a long way.

9. Floris1994 Guest

10. YoshiKing macrumors newbie

Yeah I agree with Floris, Apple Care is brilliant to have BUT you can find it cheaper. Even other sites alike ebay will have them. Make sure its legit!

YoshiKing

11. Miller117 macrumors newbie

It is best to buy from apple because it is not much cheaper on ebay if u qualify for the apple student discount. If not ebay is the way to go.

12. qnb4 macrumors newbie

Is apple care worth it for the mac mini, esp. considering the 1 year complimentary warranty from apple plus another extended 1 yr warranty added on to that from my credit card company for purchasing it with a credit card?

13. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

And PLEASE don't make the very next thread with the title "Is it safe to buy AppleCare from eBay?" :D