Apple Care?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Dtp8513, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Dtp8513 macrumors regular

Whats the story with Apple Care... is this something worth taking or something I can add on later?

2. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

You have one year from the date of purchase to decide on AppleCare. It comes down to whether or not you buy like to buy insurance for your electronics.

3. Dtp8513 thread starter macrumors regular

Do you still get the student discount if you buy it after the fact? i believe its about 120 cheaper...

4. sandylp macrumors regular

sandylp

You can add it any time within the first year from date of purchase. Apple doesn't send you a reminder, so you have to be sure and buy it within the time period. You can get it from Amazon for less, I believe. I've always bought it, but never had to use it, but I think it's worth peace of mind and it helps when you sell your old computer. It's easy to transfer the Apple Care via email, too.:)

5. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

AppleCare is well worth the peace of mind ... you may never need it, but if you do ... it will save you a lot of grief.

6. wpotere Guest

It isn't insurance, it is an extended warranty. It takes your 1 year warranty and moves it out to 3 years. It also adds phone support.

Is it worth it? I have taken both macbooks in for repairs two years out. I would have had to pay well over 1K for the repairs if I didn't have it. Yes, it is worth it. Search the forums and you will find lots of stories like mine.

7. djasterix macrumors 6502a

djasterix

It's an insurance, if you plan to keep your MBP 2-3 years, then is worth it. And you have 364 days to think about it...

8. dwhynman macrumors regular

Yes you can just buy it from the education store.

9. dagamer34 macrumors 65816

dagamer34

You can get the student discount after the fact.

Apple actually does send you a reminder as they send you an e-mail to the address you gave when you bought your Mac. And as for price, see above, as student discount is actually better than what Amazon gives you.