Apple Care

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kindaobsessed, Nov 10, 2011.

1. kindaobsessed macrumors member

My 1st year warranty is about to up should I spend the $249.00 to get 2 more years?

2. trikky macrumors regular

It's up to you. In the unlikely event anything went wrong with your computer, would it cost more than $249 to repair?

I buy Applecare for my computers. Only ever had two problems, but it's nice to have it there. Think of it as insurance.

3. rainking macrumors regular

4. WickedOne513 macrumors newbie

As a Apple Tech, yes do it... There are a lot of times that a repair can go well above $249.00. I have seen it happen.

5. kindaobsessed thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, I think I am going to, it will give me piece of mind. If it were a Windows computer I would not even think about it, but my MAC will last me a very long time. It is my baby, his name is Murphy MacMurphy :)

6. motoracer1486 macrumors 6502a

$183 with student discount ;)

7. blueillusion macrumors member

Yea, nowadays it seems to be important to get.

I have a 2010 mbp. replaced it once due to faulty keyboard trackpad.
    After wards, replaced the entire top case.
    Now as of yesterday, It's getting a new logic board due to the shoddy nvidia card in it.

total repair cost so far (if i didn't have apple care, and minus the original computer replacement): $980.00

8. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

One more and you ought to be able to push for a brand new 2011 (2012?!?!) mbp
    //fingers crossed

9. motoracer1486 macrumors 6502a

Damn, you made out on the extended warranty! :eek:

10. kindaobsessed thread starter macrumors member

If I my child has an EDU email can I get for $183.00

11. motoracer1486 macrumors 6502a

Yes. If you're planning on purchasing it on apple.com, just click the education store on the left side and choose the school. If you're going to an apple retail store, your child will have to how proof and be the one purchasing the Apple Care.

12. randomrazr macrumors 65816

183 for the 13inch

13. DougFNJ macrumors 6502a

DougFNJ

lol I wouldn't necessarily call that making out, they had to have something not work, then leave their laptop behind for a few days and be without it during that time.

14. blueillusion macrumors member

I did get my monies worth that's for sure haha.
    However, like the other person that said above, I was without a laptop for a few days each time.

Now I have a tablet, so it wasn't too bad (at least i can get on the internet), but I also do a lot of programming. Every day missed is some lost $$$.

The repair tech did say that the next repair would just be a laptop replacement.
    But to be honest, at this point I just want a laptop that works. Getting a new laptop for nearly nothing is nice, but I hate wasting time.

In the end, i look at it like this: If you can afford to spend 2000+ on a laptop, then an extra 200 bucks in the end isn't really much.

15. Ant.honey macrumors regular

Completely agree. Also, if it's something that you make a living with it's good insurance and pretty much a no-brainer.

16. Mersailios macrumors regular

I would highly recommend purchasing the AppleCare Protection Plan for your MacBook Pro. Think of it this way, if your logic board were to fail would you rather have it covered under a $249 warranty or have to spend an additional $800+ on a replacement part plus the cost of labour?

17. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Get it if you want the peace of mind. I'm approaching my 3rd year (March of next year) and I had nothing wrong with my MacBook Pro so AppleCare wouldn't have done me any good.

18. thefizzle657 macrumors regular

It's worth it IMO. My mother has a 2011 MBP and just had to have the screen replaced and there was the possibility of a logic board replacement too. While it was covered under the regular one-year warranty anyway, had it been out of warranty it would have cost $480 just for the screen and another $500 for the logic board. By comparison AppleCare without the EDU discount is $349 (she only paid $239 with EDU, even better). I think that even though you may never need to use it, if something happens and you do need to use it even just once after the one year mark it pays for itself and then some.

19. Swain macrumors member

Sorry to hijack this thread a little bit, but I'm in a sort of similar situation.

Do you guys think it's still worth to buy AppleCare even if the store gives you a 2 year warranty?

I'm not sure if that extra year is worth the €289.

20. thundersteele macrumors 68030

In my opinion, not worth it.

21. kindaobsessed thread starter macrumors member

Does the extended warranty cover battery also?

22. SDColorado macrumors 65816

SDColorado

I don't know what store you purchased it from, so it is hard to say. I have had some bad experiences with plans from CompUSA and Best Buy, and would definitely purchase Apple Care over their warranties. Those plans vary from store to store, so it would be worthwhile reading the fine print and comparing what they offer vs what Apple Care would offer you. From my experiences so far, Apple Care has gone above and beyond with fixing and repairing issues with my products, so I never hesitate to purchase it. But with all things YMMV.

23. DryEyez macrumors 6502

I would get applecare. If you look on MR there is an ebay seller called electronic king, if you have time to wait for the applecare to arrive it is cheaper to buy it from him a lot of MR folks have had success.

24. Mersailios macrumors regular

It covers the battery only if it is found to be defective, for example if your battery had 30 charge cycles and suddenly refused to hold a charge or only provided a 10 minute run time then it would likely be classified defective (the MacBook Pro's battery is rated to provide up to 1000 full charge cycles before it reaches 80% of its original capacity).

That being said, you're unlikely to get a battery replacement if you wear your battery out in the natural course of using your computer - so if you're fully charging/discharging it 3 times a day and consume up over 1000 charge cycles, then you'd likely be looking at the cost of a replacement battery.

The following documents should provide you with in-depth detail about the batteries found in portable Macs and how they are treated under an AppleCare Protection Plan:

http://www.apple.com/batteries/notebooks.html
    http://www.apple.com/support/macbookpro/service/battery/
    http://images.apple.com/legal/applecare/docs/NA_APP_English_v5.3.pdf

The AppleCare Protection Plan agreement (U.S.) states the following under the Limitations section (Section 1, Paragraph B, Item IX):
    Hope that helps, have a great day! :)