apple care

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by frozi, Jun 17, 2012.

1. frozi macrumors member

with this computer being extremely difficult to fix if a problem is to arise, how many of you are going with apple care?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

AppleCare
    AppleCare Protection Plan for Mac or Apple Display

• You can buy AppleCare any time during the first year warranty period, so you don't have to buy it at time of purchase.
    • You can check your remaining warranty and/or AppleCare coverage here
    • AppleCare will extend the 1 year warranty for an additional 2 years, for a total of 3 years coverage from the date of your Mac purchase.
      It also extends telephone support from 90 days, which is included with your original warranty, to a total of 3 years.
    • You cannot buy AppleCare again or renew it once it expires.
    • Neither the Apple Warranty nor AppleCare will cover damage from accidents, spills, etc. They only cover manufacturing defects.
    • AppleCare+ provides some coverage for accidental damage, but is only available for the iPad and iPhone, not for Apple computers.
    • Neither the Apple Warranty nor AppleCare will cover batteries that have worn out. They only cover defective batteries.
    • For more detailed questions, read the AppleCare Protection Plan (pdf) agreement.

As to whether AppleCare is worth it or not, that's a matter of opinion. You'll find lots of opinions on both sides, with roughly 75% saying it's worth it. You really need to decide if it's worth it to you. If you want more information, you can search the forum, where you'll find dozens, if not hundreds of threads asking "is AppleCare worth it?" The overall consensus seems to be about 75% in favor of it.

3. Laco macrumors 6502

I certainly will get AppleCare. Soon everything will be soldered onto the motherboard, for all models, then even if one cheap component (e.g. RAM) dies then the whole computer will become very expensive to fix. AppleCare is definitely becoming more and more worth it with every refresh / new model.

4. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

I'm assuming you're referring to the retina MBP. I think it would be a very stupid thing to skip out on AppleCare for the RMBP. As of right now, nothing on that laptop can be replaced by users. It's a 2-3k investment, spend the extra money to protect it. Cause if anything happens, it will likely be a pricey repair.

5. marcosscriven macrumors regular

Where are you located? In Europe there are consumer rights which would give you longer parts/labour warranty by default. Apple got into trouble with not making that clear.

6. danetello macrumors 6502

I am planning to buy it with the UK educational discount, so it comes with 3 years free applecare (hardware only) :D:D:D

7. frozi thread starter macrumors member

sorry, I should have stated that. I am refering the the retina mbp.

It pisses me off that it only covers manufacturer problems. I have to pay more money incase they messed up? brutal

8. dmn8 macrumors member

Anyone who grabbed one at Best Buy considering their 3 year coverage that includes accidental - drops, spill coffee, etc.? It is $450.

9. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

I've heard some good and bad stories about Best Buy's accidental plan. Some things in the fine print have led to some very disappointed customers. They usually send it in and take 3-4 weeks to either repair it, or if it's too expensive to repair, they replace it with a new one. These are good stories.

I'm also curious to what others think?

10. proximo macrumors member

Nothing is free. You pay up front for Applecare in the higher prices you guys like to bitch about.

11. PS65 macrumors 6502

That's not strictly true. RMBP costs a lot more without Apple Care - and most people do not get this free, they pay £279.

To be fair, we have every right to complain about the increase in price - it's the same product....sold in a different location.

12. daleski75 macrumors 65816

daleski75

I paid for apple care for the first time ever and I have owned a lot of mac's both desktops and laptops but as I plan on keeping this RMBP for a long time it will hopefully pay for itself.

13. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

14. marcosscriven macrumors regular

What's the situation in US? As I say, in Europe/UK you get pretty good statutory protection.

With the new rMBP pro being effectively a sealed product, any defect that arrises within a few years can be argued to be due to an original manufacturing product (with the usual caveat you haven't dented the thing or dropped it in water)

15. jlc1978 macrumors 68000

jlc1978

Why? It's a simple matter of supply and demand; plus the added sots of meeting local regulations. It's not fun, but their is nothing inherently wrong with charging different prices in different markets.

As as die note, does uK educational pricing's 3 year warranty hardware and tech support?

16. PS65 macrumors 6502

No, it does not include it.

Where did you get your economics major from? I would be surprised if the demand in the UK was proportionally higher than it is in the US.

In any case, I don't want to hijack the purpose of this thread which is about Apple Care. However, I do agree the pricing on this occasion is wrong, given previous Apple products has not shown such a high degree in varying pricing.

17. BlazednSleepy macrumors 6502a

I got apple care. Gives me great peace of mind. It also cost 100 dollars less with the student discount while building my retina macbook pro.

18. Monkeyat macrumors regular

How do you get the free Apple Care in UK ? I'm in France and here the warranty is 2 years (as for all EU countries) if we can prove the defect was present "when customer takes delivery". So, it's just something burnt out, like RAM, no chances to get the warranty...

19. marcosscriven macrumors regular

That's a misinterpretation :)

If the ram blows within two years, and it's the ram that came with the machine, then that IS considered an manufacturing defect present at delivery time. That's to say, when the ram was delivered, it should have been able to last two years.

20. Monkeyat macrumors regular

Now that's a VERY good interpretation :) Thanks !

So, for the people living in EU, does it really worth to buy Apple Care if we're using just for 1 year ?

21. jlc1978 macrumors 68000

jlc1978

I guess a/c value would depend on how long the hardware warranty is on an educational purchase; it would make no sense to buy a/c if you get a 3 year Apple warranty (as opposed to having to take it back to the retailer and proving an issue was a manufacturing defect) since tech support is pretty readily available form genius bars or other sources for free.

In the US, with a 1 year warranty Applecare is a different proposition, especially if you rely on your Mac for work and want to be sure you can get it fixed if it breaks and have certainty in costs. It's essentially a hedge against repair costs.

At any rate, it's really not free since Apple no doubt factors the costs of repairs into the overall pricing structure.

It's not that demand is higher, just that there is sufficient demand at the higher price to make it more attractive than selling more at a lower price. Apple simply picked a point higher on the supply side of the curve which results in fewer sales at higher price.

22. ZipZap macrumors 601

Seems to me accidental damage is more important in the Retina MBP. Something apple will not cover.

Squaretrade does cover it for $450 but you only get up to the retail price of the MBP to spend on repairs. Once used up, even if 3 years have not passed, you have no coverage.

Have not looked at best buy but imagine its only for BB purchases.

Would be good to know what Apple charged for a retina display failure from accidental damage.

23. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

In the US after the warranty is up your on your own. Sometimes Apple is generous and takes care of folks but there is nothing in law that will save you. After the warranty is up and the ram takes a dump your on your own getting it repaired. That's why I say your nuts if you don't get it.

24. proximo macrumors member

You're comparing apples to oranges. How much does your VAT add to the cost? How much is a liter of gasoline/diesel taxed in your country (my understanding is it's about 80% in the UK)? What's the NHS overhead per employee? At what age can a worker retire at near full salary?

All these costs add up and every one will be passed on to you as a consumer. Every corporate "tax" is paid by the consumer in higher prices for goods. Yeah, some of the premium you pay *might* be greed but it's greed on your side of the pond. My bet is that most of the premium is charged because your dealers have to do so to stay in business.

25. yth, Jun 18, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2012

yth macrumors member

You absolutely *must* get AppleCare with a MBP Retina.

If a minor component fails, you need to replace the entire logic board. If the screen gets damaged? You need to replace the entire assembly.

Simply put, the retina is not designed to last. Things break, and AppleCare will cover you if they break in the first 3 years. After that, good luck.

I'm not saying the individual components are not high quality, but there is a flaw in the design of the entire system.

Interchangeable parts were key to the Industrial Revolution, but it seems that *obsolete* parts are key to the Apple Revolution, lol