All iPads Apple care+

Discussion in 'iPad' started by hrv888, Nov 15, 2012.

1. hrv888 macrumors regular

Do you guys think its necessary to get apple care+ for the iPad? Did you get yours?

2. aneftp macrumors 68040

No. Rip off. Unless u are careless or have careless kids.

Phones are different. It's iffy with phones to began with. But tablets if you put a good case on. Hard to shatter glass unless u are unlucky.

I got military case in iPad and with 2 year old. No damage.

3. ejin222 macrumors regular

Got AppleCare on my iPhone 5 and iPad 3. Both cost around the same $600+ so I don't see why you wouldn't want to insure both. And the iPhone is less shatter prone than the iPad since it weighs less

4. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

Depends on you and he surroundings you plan on using it in. Will you be keeping it at home, or will it be out and about with you? Will you be around other people a lot when you use it? How careful do you tend to be with your devices? All of those things matter. The more you tote it around, the greater the chances of it getting dropped or damaged. The same for being around other people...friends might bump you, spill something on it, etc. You have to decide if you think it's worth the extra money or if you're willing to pay to get it repaired if something happens. Everyone has their own opinion on if it's worth it or not. There's really no right answer.

5. nanotoj macrumors regular

nanotoj

I have the Mini 32gb, so it was over $400 and adding the Applecare will add another $100 to it. I have been going back and forth on it and since it is more portable I put in my purse and bags that may be more likely to take a hit. I haven't found a case yet but that will be what decides it for me and will look in earnest for one this weekend. Right now I am leaning more on the side to purchase the insurance.

6. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

Sounds like a good plan. Just keep in mind the 30 day limit to purchase Apple Care+, and the fact that you will have to go into the store to buy it.

7. Supra Mac, Nov 15, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2012

Supra Mac macrumors regular

The one price fits all on ipads makes it rather steep in your case. 25% of your purchase cost. This isn't apples to apples but to put it in a different perspective if you just bought a $40k car would you pay $10K to insure it for an extra year with a $5K deductible on accidental.

I recommend self insure.

8. smorris macrumors member

I've never bought any sort of extended warranty on anything over the decades. Not on cars, appliances, electronic devices, etc. I figure I've saved thousands, and have almost never had something fail inside the extended coverage time anyway. I figure if it happens now and then, I'm still way, way ahead of the game.

Now, if only I hadn't had to pay auto insurance for the past 43 years. I've never made a claim, and I could have bought a house with those premiums!

9. nanotoj, Nov 15, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2012

nanotoj macrumors regular

nanotoj

This is the other side of things...if I can find a good case I really should be fine. I have found that while I do like the Smart Cover it is really not providing all the protection I want and I paid $39 for it. I bought the mini at the Apple store on launch day so there a few more weeks to find something to adequately protect it before making up my mind.

I have the Apple Care+ for my 4S and have not had need for it. This was a subsidized phone so i didn't pay that much however to retain my unlimited data with Verizon I will need to buy full price in the future if i want keep unlimited data.The only other items I have ever purchased warranties for I ended up needing the protection...a Wii and a Zune (the reason for my change to my first iPod). In both of those cases the hard drive failed. For electronics, my track record is pretty good given what I have purchased overall but my big concern with this is that the Mini is a first generation device and I don't know if there are known fail percentages for the other versions out there. I personally would rather find a good sleeve that I could use the Smart Cover with and I would be content...and that is probably my answer.