Apple Care

Discussion in 'iMac' started by roadqueen, Sep 5, 2013.

1. roadqueen macrumors newbie

I had brought an imac in 2011 late, aling with it got apple care as well.

Issues were had some issues with hard drive and since i had apple care they took care of it at home.

Subsequently had some problems which were fixed over the phone, subsequently had called due blurring of images, and apple care daid we have to replace the videocard and it was at home as well.

Since that day i am unable to work on my imac it keeps on restarting my system. When i called apple care they said the only option is to take it in to a apple store.

My question is what is the point of having apple care? One of the reasons i brought it is because i dont have to haul my imac (not the most mobile).

I wanted email apple in regards to this?

Anybody can tell me how to go about this or what to do?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Applecare is an extended warranty that its. It allows you to repair a defective mac without being charged for the repair.

I'm not really sure what your point is, are you upset that you have to bring it into apple for diagnostics/repair?

3. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

1) You have a right to call back and request in-home service.
    2) However, based on symptoms, Apple may decide more in depth diagnosics than can be done at home are required, and request you take your iMac to the Apple Store.
    3) Apple reserves the right to change conditions of your contract at any time.
    4) Your computer WILL be fixed (the location of that fix is negotiable)
    5) You've already won the AppleCare lottery (you've recouped your cost in repairs). Be happy.

4. roadqueen thread starter macrumors newbie

I didnt want to go into a fish market, the stores are always busy and didnt want to haul a 30-35lbs with me. One of the main reasons i got apple care.

Will take it and see what happens.

Maybe they will upgrade to the new maverick.

5. old-wiz macrumors G3

Mavericks is a new version of osx, and has no relation to a hardware problem. Besides, Mavericks isn't even out to the public yet.

6. Mr Rabbit macrumors 6502a

Mr Rabbit

Solid advice.

Call AppleCare and request a supervisor if the initial support person states you have to bring it in to the Apple store. Chances are they'll arrange another onsite (at home) repair for you. If they still refuse to perform an onsite repair, which is possible since extended testing may be needed, then ask them for the contact info for the local Apple Authorized Service Providers (AASP) they've used for your previous onsite repairs. Apple will not perform onsite repairs, instead they contract those repairs out to AASPs who adhere to Apple's guidelines. If you can get the name/number of the AASP who has been repairing your Mac they may just have a retail location where you could drop off your Mac without fighting the crowds of the Apple store.

Alternately you could locate local AASPs using Apple's locate tool - https://locate.apple.com. It's pretty much guaranteed that they won't be anywhere near as busy as the Apple store you're accustomed to.

7. Spacial macrumors 6502

My experience with AppleCare has always been excellent. However Apple does tend to make silent policy changes that happen randomly. It appears you may have no choice but to take it to a store. The inconvenience to you is unpleasant but it seems Apple doesn't care.

8. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

That's why you call and make an appointment. I'm also not sure what you're expecting, for Apple to send techs to your house?

9. Mr Rabbit macrumors 6502a

Mr Rabbit

Onsite coverage is included with AppleCare for iMacs/Mac minis and Mac Pros.

http://www.apple.com/support/products/mac.html

3rd bullet point under One Stop for Service and Support:
    My guess is they want to handle it in house in case it requires multiple parts and/or extended testing.

10. DavidG328 macrumors regular

What happens when your car breaks down? Do you hate taking that in to? Sure, it's an inconvenience, but the longer you hold out on taking it in, the longer it takes to be resolved.

11. Sanatogen macrumors member

Sanatogen

Is it really worth buying into the Apple care though? If you have a home insurance, that will cover any accidents you might cause to your iMac. :p

12. palmharbor, Sep 5, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2013

palmharbor macrumors 6502

Take it in

Gees....just take it in and ask for a new computer....they will most likely give you one...most PC makers give you a telephone number to India and good luck getting good service.
    I love Apple Care then have paid for two new mac mini's. Stop screwing around and just get a new iMac....this is a no brainer.

13. Mr Rabbit macrumors 6502a

Mr Rabbit

But... AppleCare isn't insurance... It's a warranty.

14. malvicus macrumors member

You should probably look into the steps on how home insurance would help. In any case, without Apple care, no one will repair your computer without money. Money that, you hope, would get reimbursed. Home insurance won't get you telephone support either. You also have one year to get it after buying your computer. Surely, you could wrangle $170 bucks in a year, no?

----------

And yes, it's definitely not insurance. It's an extension of the limited warranty that covers parts and labor for repairs done on your computer brought about by normal use.

Video card failing and you see random glitching on bootup? Applecare's got your back.

Did the video card fail after your 4 year old son threw a softball at your 27" iMac? Guess the repairs are gonna come out of his college fund, then!

15. Sanatogen macrumors member

Sanatogen

I should have my very own iMac delivered today and my first thought was to purchase Applecare as quickly as I could. But I spoke to a couple of self-proclaimed Mac experts at work and they all claimed home insurance would cover any accidents to your computer hardware.

I don't know all the ins and outs of that but that was mainly why I mentioned it here, to see if anyone agreed with them. I have no problem squeezing out £93 (as the price stands on Amazon atm) so if that's what it takes, that's what I will have to do.

16. Mr Rabbit macrumors 6502a

Mr Rabbit

Your "Mac experts" are correct in that your insurer would cover and accidents that occurs, but they'd laugh if you called to say "it just isn't working". AppleCare on the other hand would typically bend over backwards to get you from "it just isn't working" back into working order.

I suppose your friends aren't necessarily wrong, you'd just have to drop the failed iMac before calling insurance. Which may, or may not be, fraud.

17. Sanatogen macrumors member

Sanatogen

Don't get me wrong here, I'm not planning to defraud anyone. The self-proclaimed experts at work just told me their point of view. I still think Applecare is a good idea and I'll probably purchase it just to get that extra piece of mind, especially since I'm more or less a newbie to the Mac World.

18. Mr Rabbit macrumors 6502a

Mr Rabbit

No worries :)

Keep in mind as well that AppleCare also provides onsite repair coverage, where they will facilitate a repair at your home/workplace using an Apple Certified Macintosh Technician from a local service provider.

19. LorenK macrumors 6502

Common sense says not everything can be fixed at your home. What if the problem is now the motherboard? Yes, it is inconvenient to bring it into to Apple, but what would have happened if your didn't get AppleCare? You would have had to bring it in even more times.

Here's something to think about, don't sweat the small stuff. Sometimes it's good to get out into the world and experience life as others do, then you realize that you don't have it so bad.