Apple Care

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kingdf, Feb 18, 2014.

1. kingdf macrumors regular

I initially purchased a 4/128 Macbook Pro a little over two weeks ago but I was able to exchange it today for an 8/256 model. While I was at the store, the rep helping me said I have 30 days from today to purchase Apple Care for it but on Apple's website it says I have one year from the day of purchase to get Apple Care. I didn't buy it yet but is the rep wrong or right?

2. Wuiffi macrumors 6502a

Wuiffi

Here in Austria:

you can buy Apple Care within the first year

3. chrisperro macrumors 6502

chrisperro

you have until the day before your 1 year expired.

4. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

I've aways heard that you have 1 year too. If you want to be super sure, just call the store that you bought it from and ask them.

5. Buck987 macrumors 6502a

6. crjackson2134 macrumors 68020

crjackson2134

I purchased my AppleCare 10 Months after my computer purchase.

7. NukeIT macrumors regular

http://www.apple.com/support/products/mac.html

At least in the states it's within the year, but you would lose tech phone support after 90 days

8. ztastik macrumors newbie

Just Bite the Bullet...

I bought it at the same time that I purchased my MBP. The rep told me to have one of my friends in college send me a pic of their college ID and I got it for $183!

9. KevinC867 macrumors 6502a

Unless you're getting the student discount, don't buy it from Apple. bhphotovideo.com sells it for $180 (13") or $244 (15") and there's no sales tax unless you live in New York.

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The rep was wrong. It's 1 year from date of purchase.
    AppleCare
    AppleCare Protection Plan for Mac or Apple Display
    • You can buy AppleCare any time during the first year warranty period, so you don't have to buy it at time of purchase.
    • You can check your remaining warranty and/or AppleCare coverage here
    • AppleCare will extend the 1 year warranty for an additional 2 years, for a total of 3 years coverage from the date of your Mac purchase. It also extends telephone support from 90 days, which is included with your original warranty, to a total of 3 years.
    • AppleCare follows the device, not the owner. When a Mac changes hands, the AppleCare coverage still applies to the computer. There is no need to "register" the new owner in order to receive coverage.
    • You cannot buy AppleCare again for the same device or renew it.
    • Neither the Apple Warranty nor AppleCare will cover damage from accidents, spills, etc. They only cover manufacturing defects.
    • AppleCare+ provides some coverage for accidental damage, but is only available for the iPad and iPhone, not for Apple computers.
    • Neither the Apple Warranty nor AppleCare will cover batteries that have worn out. They only cover defective batteries.
    • You can buy AppleCare from Apple or from other sources, such as Amazon, B&H Photo Video, L.A. Computer Company and others. Exercise caution when buying from sites such as eBay, as some AppleCare offers have been scams.
    • For more detailed questions, read the AppleCare Protection Plan (pdf) agreement.
    • Apple to Update AppleCare with Subscription Service and In-Store Repair Options
    As to whether AppleCare is worth it or not, that's a matter of opinion. You'll find lots of opinions on both sides, with roughly 75% saying it's worth it. You really need to decide if it's worth it to you. If you want more information, you can search the forum, where you'll find dozens, if not hundreds of threads asking "is AppleCare worth it?" The overall consensus seems to be about 75% in favor of it.

11. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You can buy it anytime in the first year... and technically you can activate after the year is out if you can prove you bought it before the year ended (easy with a receipt from an authorized reseller).

12. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

Worth it by far in my opinion

I'm super glad I bought it with my student discount

I was one month out of regular warranty (1 year 1 month of ownership) and my charger stopped working.

Would of been $100 to buy a new one but got it free in 2 minutes because of Applecare. I still have 2 years left of care and pretty much broke even on saving from buying new stuff. It covers pretty anything you don't cause, and some you do. Just don't drop it or get it wet and it's covered :)

My charger actually was user caused as over time the cable was tearing inside the wire from being bent at the port using the laptop a maximum distance away. It was replaced with no issue though.