Apple care

POTMONSTER

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 3, 2013
North Lincolnshire (UK)
Hello fellow Apple fans

OK just bought my oldest Daughter the new macbook pro with her starting collage..
Anyway she got a letter a week ago now
Headed..

APPLECARE PROTECTION PLAN CERTIFICATE

Thank you for purchasing the applecare protection plan... so on and so on

COVERAGE PERIOD END DATE 13th FEBRUARY 2017

Now no money gone out banks to pay for this extra 2 years on top of the 1yr standard and don't want to ring up and spoil an added extra... wink wink

Dose this come free with students?
the first macbook pro had to be returned after 2 days with massive fault and the letter arrived 1 week after new replacement was received???!!!

Just puzzled
Be interested hearing your thoughts

Thanks for looking in,
J.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Apple's warranty on all Macs is one year. AppleCare adds two years for a total of three years coverage from the date of purchase.

It's an extra two years.
I was saying it was an extra 1 over the normal two years of AppleCare that the OP was getting.

Last edited:

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I suspect there are many people who've passed on AppleCare and had Macs fail in the second year that share your sentiments. :p
Just edited my previous post to say what I meant to say (was typing it as my fiancée was rushing me out the door this morning).

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan
Fill me in here…..don't UK customers get the EU-wide minimum two year warranty on all Apple products, or am I interpreting that wrong?
http://www.apple.com/uk/legal/statutory-warranty/
They do indeed. That has nothing to do with the Apple One-Year Limited Warranty, as you can see on the very page you linked to.

AppleCare is a separate product that provides two years of additional coverage.

To say that the OP got "an extra 1 over the normal two years of AppleCare" is incorrect.

Another important fact to consider is in the fine print of the EU-wide coverage:

In most EU member states, consumers may only claim for defects that were present on delivery.

And although in the UK, the warranty is actually 6 years, after 6 months from the date of purchase the burden to prove that the defect you're making a claim for existed on delivery switches to the consumer. Good luck with that.

None of that applies to AppleCare, of course. If a defect occurs the day before the 3 year coverage expires, AppleCare will repair/replace it free of charge and no questions asked.

Last edited:

macs4nw

macrumors 601
They do indeed. That has nothing to do with the Apple One-Year Limited Warranty, as you can see on the very page you linked to.

AppleCare is a separate product that provides two years of additional coverage.

To say that the OP got "an extra 1 over the normal two years of AppleCare" is incorrect.

Another important fact to consider is in the fine print of the EU-wide coverage:

In most EU member states, consumers may only claim for defects that were present on delivery.

And although in the UK, the warranty is actually 6 years, after 6 months from the date of purchase the burden to prove that the defect you're making a claim for existed on delivery switches to the consumer. Good luck with that.

None of that applies to AppleCare, of course. If a defect occurs the day before the 3 year coverage expires, AppleCare will repair/replace it free of charge and no questions asked.
Thanks for that explanation. It appears that the EU warranty sounds a lot better than it really is.
I almost invariably buy the APP, and definitely on the larger purchases. Worth it for the support alone, and the three year peace-of-mind hardware coverage is icing on the cake.

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan
Worth it for the support alone, and the three year peace-of-mind hardware coverage is icing on the cake.
I couldn't agree more. It's saved me on many occasions over the years. I budget it into the purchase every time I get a new Mac. For the iMac, it works out to only about $5 per month for the extra 24 months of coverage.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
The Far Horizon
I couldn't agree more. It's saved me on many occasions over the years. I budget it into the purchase every time I get a new Mac. For the iMac, it works out to only about $5 per month for the extra 24 months of coverage.
As do I.

I have always bought Applecare for every computer that I have owned, and have had cause to use it and be grateful for the fact that I had it.

It gives me peace of mind, helps with selling on the computer (people buying like to think that there is a little Applecare left on a machine), and allows me to plan for a three year cycle (as the Applecare coverage determines how long I tend to keep a computer).

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan
Just to muddy the water, I believe you still have a year to decide whether or not to purchase the extended Apple Care coverage.
AppleCare can be purchased at any time up to one year from the date of purchase of the Mac. Telephone support under the limited warranty is only 90 days though. AppleCare extends that to 3 full years as well.

Once the one year warranty is expired, if you haven't purchased AppleCare yet you're out of luck.