Apple Care?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by denizzziz13, Jun 27, 2008.

1. denizzziz13 macrumors member

Wondering what all comes with it and if it's worth buying...?

2. hood macrumors member

I have posted this before and still am a believer in Apple Care.

I am a firm supporter of Applecare. It got my Rev A 2006 MBP replaced after two years. I took it in twice for a clicking noise that the machine was making. I had made 3 or 4 calls to Applecare in the last six months. After the second time the machine was taken to a Genius bar and not fixed correctly, I call Applecare and they said they would replace the machine. The replacement machine was delivered within 4 days of starting the replacement process. Once I received my new MBP I went out and bought Applecare again. I strongly think it is worth it.

3. denizzziz13 thread starter macrumors member

What are the limitations as to how badly the computer can be broken before they won't take it/replace it? If you drop it? Lose it/get it stolen?

4. Ride9650 macrumors 6502

It doesn't really come with anything except a copy of Tech Tool Delux which is a pretty handy tool to make sure everything is a-ok with your mac.
    I would say that if you can afford it, it is well worth having. I have never had anything go wrong with my macs, however, you just can never be too safe. As long as its obvious the damage was not user inflicted, you're covered really well. to the best of my knowledge, the only things Apple wont take care of are water damage, or LCD cracks.

UCLA was having a sale for 189 US which is where I picked up mine, if you happen to be in school, you may be able to get a simmilar deal.

5. denizzziz13 thread starter macrumors member

I'm buying it with the Educational promo so it is $183

Thanks for the help :)

6. Jestered macrumors 6502

Just like any other warranty, it does not cover abuse or accidental damage. If you drop it... it's not covered. Why would Apple cover a lost or stolen computer? That is not covered either.

7. SwitchingtoMAC macrumors member

SwitchingtoMAC

Physical damage(being dropped), liquid damage(spilling something on it), and software repairs are not covered under the warranty, apple care also gives you 3 years phone support instead of 90days with their standard warranty. and as far and replacements usually one part has to fail and be replaced 3 or more times i think

8. 7on macrumors 601

7on

I'm a firm believer in never buying an extended warranty. Do the products manufactures not believe their product will last more than a year?

If you go your whole life without ever buying an extended warranty, you'll end up saving money statistically. This even takes into account having to pay for a replacement now and then.

Also you can think of it as you're betting Apple $200(or the price of AC) that your computer will need repairs between year 1 and 3 due to Apple's fault. And Apple's taking your bet.

9. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

For a laptop I'd have to say it's almost a must, just given the fact that the parts are shrunken down and are encased in a smaller enclosure and subjected to heat. I've already had an Aluminum Powerbook G4 that had to go in to have the LCD replaced and just recently, I've had to send my MBP in, literally a day after the one year anniversary, to have the logic board replaced after the graphics card died. AppleCare more than paid for itself these two instances that I'd had to send my laptops in.

10. startwithz macrumors newbie

Do It!

A few months ago, I noticed my battery performance had declined a significant amount. I set up an appointment, went to the apple store the next day, and ten minutes after i walked in, i was walking out with a new battery for my MBP. No credit cards, no crazy questions, and no paperwork. I even had a great chat with the guy who was helping me. All of this, despite the fact that I had already had my first battery replaced on apple's dime during the regular battery warranty period.

A friend of mine bought a MBP and his battery also started to show poor performance, after the warranty period. He went to the same store, but since he didnt have applecare, he had to pay for his new battery.

Having apple care has already half paid for itself, and knowing how many moving parts a computer has, and how a laptop is something you take everywhere, i'm certain something else could happen, for which i will likely not have to pay a dime to have fixed.

11. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

AppleCare is about the only extended warranty I still buy. I've been through a lot of Macs and never ONCE have not made a claim.

I'm on my 4th Apple laptop. The current one is brand new - so far, so good. The last three (1GHz TiBook, 1.66GHz 1.5GHz 12" AlBook, 15" 1.67GHz AlBook) all had optical drive failures outside of the 1 year factory warranty and were promptly repaired. The 12 incher even had a bad logic board that got replaced ($800 for the part alone, or about half of what I originally paid for the whole laptop).

For me, they have paid for themselves many times over. Laptops in general work in much rougher environments (both internally and externally) than desktop machines and therefore are more prone to failure, even if they're not abused.

Now whether AppleCare is a sound investment on say a Mac Pro, would probably be a different debate.

12. 01jamcon macrumors 6502a

01jamcon

Yes, do get Apple care for a laptop. Whether it be due to more rigorous use or because of poorer quality control or smaller parts or whatever, Apple laptops (and laptops in general) tend to fail much more often. Just to add to the list, I've had to use the Apple care 3 times so far on my 22 month old Macbook for various reasons.

13. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If you buy the extended warranty and spend your life on making more money, then that $300 is nothing!

Now, I always get AppleCare; I don't care if it won't break in 3 years, but I just have simply because if there is a problem, Apple is more lenient on replacing and than denying, especially with batteries.