Apple Care

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by guklein, Dec 8, 2008.

  1. guklein macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2008
    #1
    If I upgrade myself the memory in my Imac 20'' (from 1 GB to) 4GB, do I lose the guarantee of AppleCare?

    Thank you!
     
  2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

    Tallest Skil

    Joined:
    Aug 13, 2006
    Location:
    1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
    #2
    The new RAM isn't covered, so if there is a problem with it, you'll have to take it up with the manufacturer.

    Why would Apple care (ha ha...) if you upgraded as long as you didn't break anything yourself?
     
  3. kornyboy macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Sep 27, 2004
    Location:
    Knoxville, TN (USA)
    #3
    Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

    I always removed the RAM before taking my computers into the Apple Store or sending the computer off. They shouldn't have an issue with it anyway since you don't have to take the computer apart to upgrade the RAM. Plus you can buy RAM directly from Apple and install it yourself.

    Again, I haven't had any issues getting support on Apple computers that I have upgraded the RAM in myself.
     
  4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

    GGJstudios

    Joined:
    May 16, 2008
  5. guklein thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2008
    #5
    Thank you!

    I want to buy my first Mac, a 20'' Imac. I am a domestic user (internet, office, musics, photos,...).

    Do you think worth saving $300 buying a 2.4GHZ model instead of a 2.66Ghz? Then I will update from 1GB to 4GB RAM.

    What do you think?
     
  6. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

    Tallest Skil

    Joined:
    Aug 13, 2006
    Location:
    1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
    #6
    Get the better processor and buy RAM third party. NEVER. EVER. Buy RAM from Apple.

    And wait a month to buy this iMac.
     
  7. guklein thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2008
    #7
    I know a new model will be released next month. But I live in Brazil and the price is very attractive due to the exchange rate (Real/Dolar).

    I am a domestic user, not a heavy user, and that's the reason why I think I can take advantage of the price of the current model, which is very attractive in Brazil, instead of waiting for the new model that is going to be much more expensive here in Brazil (prices will be revised due to the exchange rate). Does it make sense? Or the upgrades in the new model will be radical?

    The difference between the 2 models of 20'' is about US$300. Is it worth buying the 2.4GHz model and put 4GB or it is better to buy the 2.66GHz?

    Thank you so much.
     

Share This Page