Apple Care

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Mr. 18.5, Dec 14, 2008.

1. Mr. 18.5 macrumors newbie

Do i have to buy Apple Care on the Day i buy my laptop, or can i wait and get it later?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Searching would show that you can buy it up to a year later. Apple will even mail you a reminder.

3. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

They rang my girlfriend a few days before hers ran out too... But yeah, a search would've been nice...

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Called her? Now that's service! I don't remember if the order has to be in or it has to be activated before the year's service is up, but they do send you a paper mailing in enough time to buy it.

5. Mr. 18.5 thread starter macrumors newbie

so

so you mean to tell me i could basically, wait and after 200 days i can buy it.... so aslong as i buy it within the year of warrantee, and is the only place u can buy apple care from apple store, or can i get it at future, and do you guys think it is worth it?. When do you exect the 13.3 tablet macpro to be out with a nahalem?

6. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

You're mixing product lines, so never. Ever. As in... ever.

Oh. You're mixing the products... in my sig. :p That's funny. :cool:

Nehalem Mac Pro will come out in Q1 2009. The MacTablet is a pure guess of mine that I would love to have happen. If it is going to happen, it will be at MacWorld on the 6th of January. Otherwise, it won't happen.

7. Mr. 18.5 thread starter macrumors newbie

so

so your one of the few who actually beleive there will be a i7 in 2009? let alone q1 i sumhow doubt that it will happen as, it will cause heat and batterie issues...

8. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Heck yes! One of the few?! The Nehalem Xeons go into production very soon; the Mac Pro will get them in Q1. Every other Mac line except perhaps the Mac Mini will also receive Nehalem around Q4 2009.

There are no laptop Nehalems in existence now, nor will there be until about Q3. Give Apple a little while to manufacture and you have a fall refresh of the laptops with Nehalem and the iMacs either just before or after. Heat and battery issues? They run cooler and with less power than any chip before them!

9. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

And! because she put "Education" under usage, they gave her education discount, they did all the activation for here, it was 2 days before it ran out, proper good service, wish they did that for my iMac, I would've taken it then!

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

They call my father as well; except he already had AppleCare. :rolleyes:

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You don't have to activate it within the first year, as long as you buy it within that time.

12. mgridgaway macrumors 6502

mgridgaway

Err... yes you do? I mean they might make an exception if you had the receipts and what not... but why wouldn't you activate it as soon as you got it?

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You certainly can activate it as soon as you buy it, but it's not required. Of course, it has to be activated for you to take advantage of it, but if you buy it and wait a couple months or even a couple years before you activate it, it's still good. However, the effective date is still based on the purchase date of your Mac.

14. DucatiDude macrumors newbie

If you're looking to save on AppleCare search Amazon.com. They have the protection plans for a little less than you would pay for them at the Apple store. The discount amount depends on which Mac product you are buying it for but runs about $50.00 for a MB or MBP. Even if you've already bought it from Apple, as long as you haven't opened the box you can return it.

15. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Or you can also buy an applecare box off of ebay. When compusa went out of business in my hometown, people bought all the applecare boxes at a discount, and I'm sure many of them sold them on ebay.

You take the activation code, type it in along with your machine's serial number, and you're set. Apple mails you a letter confirming along with the fine print .

16. cleetusvandamm macrumors member

the one on Amazon for the newest Imacs has a different part number (the MB xx number) than the one on the Apple site so Im abit hesitant on buying from Amazon. .

17. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

No. Don't go spreading misinformation around here. Apple's official policy (read it on your AppleCare box or on the website) is that AppleCare must be activated before the expiration of the original product warranty. If you do not, they have no obligation to provide you any sort of service. They do often make exceptions, but far more commonly if you bought it with the computer and didn't realize you needed to activate it than simply if you bought it later and didn't activate it (otherwise you could hold onto it and use it for another computer, which is not the intended purpose of having the extended warranty).

jW

18. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You are incorrect. This discussion is an old one and has already been resolved. See here for a previous discussion and the answer.