apple care

Discussion in 'iMac' started by dglas, Feb 4, 2009.

1. dglas macrumors newbie

What about the apple care protection codes sold on ebay? Are they legit? If so what does one need to be careful about. I mean if it is for an iMac will it work for all imacs including the latest versions - or is there a difference?

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

I can't speak to the legitimacy of the eBay codes. What I can say is that there is an AppleCare for each Apple product except Airport base stations and keyboards/mice. The MacBook/MacBook Air are grouped as one class, as is the iPod nano/shuffle, and iPod classic/iPod touch, and there's even a special AppleCare to cover just displays. http://www.apple.com/support/products/

3. TrapOx macrumors 6502

Buy ONLY sealed boxes. If the box is opened or the seller is only e-mailing the code, its a scam.

Your mac must still be in its warranty period to apply applecare.

4. RichardI macrumors 6502a

RichardI

I'm guessing that they are no good. AppleCare is like an insurance so it is for a specific machine/serial number. Again I'm not 100% sure, but I think I'd buy AppleCare only from Apple, or an Apple store just to be safe.

Rich :cool:

5. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

Plenty of people on these forums have purchased AppleCare on eBay with no problems whatsoever. Do a forum search for "applecare ebay". In many cases the seller just e-mails the registration number once the payment is processed.

If you don't have the stomach for auctions you can still buy AppleCare for considerable discounts from LA Computer. I bought my iMac's coverage from them and can highly recommend them.

6. fhall1 macrumors 68030

fhall1

Wrong....I bought Applecare for my Mini off ebay....saved about $50 from the Apple list price. I got a box with the card & registration number. Registered it with Apple with no problems whatsoever.