Apple Care

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by chad1792, Feb 11, 2010.

1. chad1792 macrumors newbie

Is apple care worth it in the long run? Do macbook pros break a lot or are they reliable?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

3. cronin1024 macrumors newbie

Unless you need the phone support, I'd say no. From what I've been told, a rebuild of my MacBook (not sure about the Pro) would cost about $300-$350, which is the same as the warranty would be. Unless you think you might develop two or more costly repairs (logic board, screen, etc) that are covered by the warranty (i.e. no "damage") more than one year but less than three years from your purchase date, you won't end up paying any more to repair the system than it would cost to warranty it, and on the off chance nothing does happen to it you don't have to pay anything at all.

4. smithmax13 macrumors member

I have always purchased apple care, and I've had to use it a few times. I definitely think it's worth it.

5. mikem7522 macrumors member

Probably not. Regretfully i purchased apple care for my macbook, and all the genius support staff ever do is run diagnostics. The problem with apple care is theres not much it actually covers, any physcial damage and your warranty is voided, and a lot of times they wont even replace a problem entirely for free. I had apple care on my first macbook and the LCD crapped out and they basically told me I had to pay for a replacement.

As much as I hate bestbuy i would reccomend buying a mac from them and getting one of their warranties. The good part is if they can't fix it they'll give you a brand new machine. Ive had friends who specifically bought macs from best buy for this reason. And it ended up one of them dropped their macbook pro on the ground which caused a huge dent, the other one spilled milk on his keyboard. They actually both got brand new machines, and that would never ever happen to an apple care customer.

Currently on my black macbook there is a strange clicking sound which causes freezing and crashing. Ive replaced the hard drive, run backup software and nothing has seemed to fix it. I brought it in to apple care and they told me "everything was fine from the tests". I even made countless videos showing the problem it didn't even make a difference.

6. KBS756 macrumors 6502a

I bought apple care for everythin but my iphone
    I have so far found it very useful especially on my macbook pro.
    They replaced the power brick
    Superdrive 2x (one of the deaths was my lil brothers fault)
    and now the keyboard because on my old macbook pro it wore through till the point u couldnt not read the keys

and in resale value it considerably raises sale value on ebay

7. Techhie macrumors 65816

Techhie

I don't know which Geeksquad policy list you are looking at, because standard procedure for any repair is immediate shipment to the Macintosh Specialty Center, which may return it in 4-10 weeks. Yes, weeks. For most people, the "Black Tie Protection" from Worst Buy end up as a joke.

Protip: Don't be lured away from AppleCare under the guise of "accidental protection", Apple continues to be among the highest rated companies regarding customer service and warranties. In many cases, they are extremely leniant and knowledgeable.

8. Shasta McNasty macrumors 6502a

Shasta McNasty

I would say definitely if you plan on keeping the laptop for more than a year. Even if you dont though, it adds value once you do decide to sell it.

9. KBS756 macrumors 6502a

I agree on the leniant part my little brother put playing cards in my super drive and they replaced it.

My laptop suffered a nasty fall which left an obvious dent right over the hdd ( they still have supported all warranty repairs despite that )

when it comes to bestbuy ... with my sony desktop i had before makin the switch to mac. The power supply blew... and i told them that... they took 2 weeks to even look at my computer to determine this and another 3 weeks to ship it to sony and get it back fixed) worst warranty support ever + they never seemed to know where my computer was till the end.

The average repair times ive had on my apple products under apple care range from 30 mins (superdrive) to 24 hrs (superdrive + keyboard + case)

I will continue to buy apple care until i have a bad experience

10. Gomff macrumors 6502a

Applecare has paid for itself on every Apple product I have covered with it, which is 2 laptops and a desktop. Logic board replacements are hugely expensive, but even things like replacements of superdrives or batteries on laptops can mean it pays for itself.

I wouldn't consider not purchasing Applecare for any Mac laptop or desktop I buy.

11. schreck macrumors regular

Although I have nothing but contempt for Best Buy, I must amend what you've said regarding turn time. In all of my experiences (I work there. I know. But it pays all right for being a student.), things usually take anywhere from 10-20 days to get fixed. Lately, I've seen computers return within a week (of course, this is probably only about 20% of units). Nevertheless, the last time I saw something take longer than 4 weeks, the customer got a new computer per one of the managers.

Of course, I have not accounted for variation form store to store. Perhaps my case is isolated. I felt like sharing it nonetheless.

That said, my AppleCare experiences have all been far better than any experience with Best Buy could possible be. What you've said regarding their plan is spot on, and I highly recommend it as well if the OP would appreciate the "security."